Teradata Manager - Where is that in Viewpoint?

Viewpoint
Teradata Viewpoint is Teradata's strategic and innovative SOV (single operational view) for Teradata DB, Aster, and HDP Hadoop systems management and monitoring that enables Teradata's Unified Data Architecture (UDA).
Teradata Employee

Teradata Manager - Where is that in Viewpoint?

The Teradata Viewpoint team is often asked how do I do this Teradata Manager function in Viewpoint? Although Teradata Viewpoint is fairly intuitive and offers excellent on-line help, it seemed worth creating an article related to this subject to accomplish two things. First, provide some high level guidance of what portlets may want to be considered for general Teradata Manager functionality. Secondly, provide a discussion forum for more in-depth Teradata Manager feature questions.

Note there is general agreement that a full Teradata Manager feature by feature translation guide would become too large and cumbersome to be effective. So keep reading if this is of interest to you and contribute accordingly with any items you would like discussed.

This article will go through the high level breakdown of Teradata Manager high level feature groups with indications of what Viewpoint portlets should be considered for that functional equivalence. Pertinent to this discussion are the existing articles on the Teradata Viewpoint 13.03 release and subsequent Teradata Viewpoint 13.03.00.04 patch release, both of which provide important information on the Teradata Manager transition to Viewpoint and Teradata Management Portlets. The Teradata Viewpoint 13.02 and Teradata Viewpoint 13.10 release articles provide information on the TASM / workload management portlets. All of these articles should be read if you have not done so already. Lastly, make sure you review the latest Teradata Viewpoint Configuration Guide as this has additional Teradata Manager transition information.

The Teradata Manager feature functionality tools are presented in four main feature groups:

1. Monitor
  2. Investigate
  3. Analyze
  4. Administer

As seen below in the Teradata Manager toolbar. Other items shown are for general navigation, formatting, etc.

Before diving into each of the feature groups, note that "Help" is replaced in Teradata Viewpoint with the built in on-line help implementation. Help in Viewpoint is found in the upper right corner and identified by the quetion mark icon shown below.

Now that help is covered, let's go through each of the feature function groups.

Monitor Menu:

The "Monitor" menu is comprised of the following choices:

The "Dashboard" is documented as displaying the following information. Each item is shown with the associated Viewpoint portlet or portlets in italics that provide similar information. Overall, the health of a Teradata system is defined in Viewpoint through the System Health portlet.

• Virtual utilization and Physical utilization: Node Resources
  • Sessions: System Health or Query Monitor
  • Transaction rate: Query Monitor or Todays Statistics or Capacity Heatmap or Metrics Graph
  • Response time: Todays Statistics
  • I/O per transaction: Capacity Heatmap or Metrics Graph
  • Recent history graphs showing trends: Capacity Heatmap or Metrics Graph
  • Workload snapshots and history: Workload Health or Workload Monitor

The "Sessions" and "Session Information" provided similar functionality, all of which is now offered in the Query Monitor portlet. As a feature addition, personal session information for any particular user can be displayed in the My Queries portlet.

The "Nodes" and "Vprocs" information primarily is replicated in the Node Resources portlet although trend information for some of this information is also available in the Capacity Heatmap or Metrics Graph trending portlets.

The "TDWM" information was specific to TASM and workload management monitoring and reporting. All of this information is now available in the Workload Health or Workload Monitor portlets.

Last but certainly not least of the monitoring tools is "Performance Monitor" or maybe better known as just "PMON". PMON is described as providing performance data on four sets of data listed below with the associated Viewpoint portlet or portlets replacements listed in italics.

• General health information (configuration and summary): System Health
  • Resource information (nodes and vprocs): Node Resources
  • Session Information (statistics and lock information): Todays Statistics and Lock Viewer
  • Historical session information: Query Monitor

Note that the monitoring rates for data collection some of which are specified in PMON are covered in the Viewpoint Admin menus under the Teradata Systems choice. Review the Data Collectors and Monitor Rates options.

Investigate Menu:

The "Investigate" menu is composed of the following choices. Note the included migration status of each:

• Audit Log: Not migrated due to lack of usage and other log options.
  • Error Log: Not migrated as this was only available for MP-RAS OS systems.
  • Space Usage: Replaced by Space Usage portlet.
  • Logon/Logoff History: Query the dbc.logonoff table or utilize the Query Monitor portlet.
  • Locking Logger: Replaced by Lock Viewer portlet.
  • Alert Viewer: Replaced by Alert Viewer portlet.
  • System Emulation Tool (TSET): Remains a TTU product offering accessible from the Windows Start menu.
  • Visual Explain: Remains a TTU product offering accessible from the Windows Start menu.

Analyze Menu:

The "Analyze" menu is comprised of the following choices. Note the included migration status of each:

• Trends: See below.
  • Resource History: Capacity Heatmap, Metrics Graph, and Metrics Analysis portlets.
  • Statistics Wizard: Remains a TTU product offering accessible from the Windows Start menu.
  • Index Wizard: Remains a TTU product offering accessible from the Windows Start menu.

The "Trends" menu choice provides resource usage trending which like the "Resource History" menu can now be found in the Capacity Heatmap, Metrics Graph, and Metrics Analysis portlets. The "Trends" menu also provides trend information for workload definitions that can be found in the Workload Monitor and Workload Health portlets. Regarding DBQL reporting, there will continue to be a need for the Database Query Log. However the Viewpoint DCS is a data repository with similar data, just not to the extent of DBQL, although it provides a vast majority of the value in a much easier access interface.

Administer Menu:

The "Administer" menu also has a variety of choices to consider. These are included in the following list where some have the migration status included on the line with others requiring more explanation and included below the list.

• Teradata Manager: See below.
  • Teradata Database: Link to Teradata Administrator, a TTU product accessible from the Windows Start menu.
  • Database Console: Replaced by Remote Console portlet.
  • Alert Policies: Found in the Viewpoint Admin menu under Teradata Systems and the Alerts option.
  • SQL Assistant: Remains a TTU product but is also complimented by the SQL Scratchpad portlet.
  • BTEQ: Remains a TTU product offering accessible from the Windows Start menu.
  • Teradata Database Setup: Similar setup for Viewpoint is available under the Teradata Systems menu.
  • Statistics Collection: Functionality available through the Statistics Wizard TTU product.
  • Move Space: Use the Space Usage portlet or the Teradata Administrator TTU product.
  • Move Database: Functionality available through the Teradata Administrator TTU product.
  • Workload Management: See below.

The "Teradata Manager" option is used to configure Teradata Manager, set up alerts, and data collection. This is done for Viewpoint in the Viewpoint Admin menus and in particular under the Teradata Systems and Alert Setup menu choices.

The "Workload Management" choice offers four options related to workload management.

1. Dynamic Workload Manager: Replaced by Workload Designer portlet.
  2. Workload Analyzer: Remains a TTU product offering.
  3. Priority Scheduler (PSA): See below.
  4. Query Scheduler: Remains a TTU product offering.

Regarding the Priority Scheduler Administrator or often referred to as just PSA, a business decision was made to not bring that forward into Teradata Viewpoint. However all priority scheduler configuration operations can still be done via the "schmon" command. To make transition easier, one can use PSA to dump the set of schmon commands equivalent to each PSA profile one has.

So that is the high level overview of the status of Teradata Manager transition to Viewpoint. As mentioned in the introduction of this article, this is not a one by one feature transition but provides direction on where to start looking. This also allows for additional detailed discussions, as necessary, through comments to this article.

Hope this is helpful.

48 REPLIES

Re: Teradata Manager - Where is that in Viewpoint?

Hello Gary,

Thanks for this "Teradata Manager" and "ViewPoint" comparison article.

At present in Teradata Manager, if we go to "Remote Console" then we can redirect output to file.

Remote Console --> Options --> Redirect Output...

This is helpful is many cases. I don't see this functionality in "Remote Console" portlet in ViewPoint. Can you please tell me if this is cancelled or Am I missing anything while checking remote console portlet?

I can see there are many differences in look for "Workload Designer portlet" and "Dynamic Workload Manager". Can you please document high-level points for comparison between "Dynamic Workload Manager" and "Workload Designer portlet"?

Thanks & Regards,
Shrinivas Sagare
N/A

Java script based web engine.. write content to local file system is quite a challenge.. think about someone write a java script webpage and start dumping virus to your local pc.. how would you like that???LOL..
well, maybe need a trusted java applet embeded in pages or webstart app to redirect output.
Teradata Employee

For redirection, one can simply use copy and paste operations. Regarding Workload Designer, I would recommend some other data resources if you're interested in that portlet and how it compares. See below.

1) Review the Viewpoint 13.10 release notes on DevX: http://developer.teradata.com/viewpoint/articles/teradata-viewpoint-13-10-released

2) Review the documented details of Workload Designer within on-line help or the Viewpoint User Guide PDF file version located under the Viewpoint Reference tab: http://developer.teradata.com/viewpoint/reference

3) Consider taking the Introduction to TASM Portlets class. More information at:
http://developer.teradata.com/viewpoint/training/introduction-to-tasm-portlets
Teradata Employee

Manoj, See responses below.

Regarding #1: 5-10 second response times are not normal. These delays could be network issues, over populated pages, or something else. As this is not a general concern, I'd suggest getting with the GSC to evaluate the situation.

For #2: The Viewpoint Configuration Guide documents all the granting of permissions necessary for the Viewpoint user id. I'd recommend having Teradata CS assist in your configuration. The Config Guide can be found on DevX at: http://developer.teradata.com/viewpoint/reference

The Alert Request table is a temporary queue so this is working as designed. Once Viewpoint processes the items in the queue with storage into Viewpoint, it purges the table entries.

For #3: On-line help search capability has been on the new features list for sometime but has been deferred as a lower priority as there is an alternate method for doing so. One can search on the PDF version if need be, this is the Viewpoint User Guide. The latest of which can be found on DevX at the same location as the Config Guide above.

Thanks Gary. I saw your reseponse just now. I moved the topic to the forum as i realised that i posted my questions in a wrong place for discussion.

Again thanks. I got the Config guide. let me retrieve the info. from there.
Teradata Employee

Manoj,

Can you re-publish your posting in this thread? I thought your comments were fine for this forum topic and now my response is confusing as what I was responding to is no longer listed here.

Gary

Gary,

I have published the deleted post.

************************************************************************************************
We are implementing Viewpoint and so far everything is good with its usage.

Being a newbie i have some basic questions.

1. I feel Viewpoint is slow considering the web application in a LAN Environment. I do understand the delay while fetching data. But even the settings (admin,profile,etc.) page and creation of new page is slow. Is this an isolated incident at my end or is this how the application behaves. The response time varies around 5-10 secs.

2. The Viewpoint id in Teradata has only read access to many of the admin related databases. Is there a reason for this. As a trial i tried giving full access to one of the table called "Alert Request" in the "DBCMNGR" database. To my surprise it purged out all the data from the table within 30 minutes. I tried investigating but could not able to find a reason. Any comments on why does it behaved so.

3. The Online help of Viewpoint answered most of my questions. But it will be more helpful if an option to search the terms is made available. This is a suggestion.

************************************************************************************************

Regards,

Manoj.
N/A

What would be the equivalent for the priority tab in TM for an appliance, in a VP portal.
Teradata Employee

Could you elaborate a bit more? What do you mean when you mention the priority tab in Teradata Manager?