Teradata Viewpoint 13.10 released

Viewpoint
Teradata Viewpoint is Teradata's strategic and innovative SOV (single operational view) for Teradata DB, Aster, and HDP Hadoop systems management and monitoring that enables Teradata's Unified Data Architecture (UDA).
Teradata Employee

Teradata Viewpoint 13.10 released

Teradata is pleased to announce the official release of Teradata Viewpoint 13.10 effective August 27th, 2010.

The primary focus of this Viewpoint release is the "Workload Designer" portlet for Teradata Active System Management (TASM) / workload management configuration. The Workload Designer portlet is an addition to the TASM Portlets bundle joining the Workload Health and Workload Monitor portlets introduced with the Teradata Viewpoint / TASM Portlets 13.02 release in January 2010. 

Summary

The majority of effort for the Viewpoint 13.10 was development of the Workload Designer portlet. Delivery of this new portlet was critical as the TTU product Teradata Dynamic Workload Manager (TDWM) 13.0 is the last release of that product. So TASM / workload management against a Teradata DB 13.10 system will require usage of Workload Designer and of course Teradata Viewpoint. Note that this new portlet can also be used against Teradata DB 12.0 and 13.0 versions allowing overlapping Teradata releases. The Teradata Viewpoint 13.10 version also supports new TASM 13.10 features (more WDs, improved utility management, and common classifications). A summary of these new features is discussed later in this article. Customer demand drove realization of the next new Viewpoint 13.10 feature, queryband column addition to the query portlets summary view.  So one can now view queryband information at both the summary and detail query portlet views. As with past Viewpoint releases, Viewpoint 13.10 represents a patch update for Viewpoint Foundation software, Teradata Management, TASM, and Self Service Portlets.

TASM Portlets - Workload Designer portlet

As mentioned in the summary, the vast majority of effort for this release was creation of the new "Workload Designer" portlet. This portlet provides full TASM configuration in a new more intuitive, easy to use interface. Note that this overview should not be considered a TASM feature explanation or a TASM configuration training session. This is just giving a preview of what this latest portlet offering can provide.

The interface is built to be intuitive and provides easy recognition of workload management features like Filters, Throttles, Workloads, Exceptions, etc. When working on a ruleset, the Workload Designer primary screen will appear as follows:

You will notice the various features are presented across the top of the portlet for easy navigation. Drilling down into States allows simple point-and-click operations for adding new events, environments, and health conditions. This state matrix allows one to set different TASM rules based on planned and unplanned events. For instance, automated rule changes when entering the weekend batch window or when an unanticipated hardware issue puts the system in a degraded state.

Also notice the "Setup Wizard" button to provide assistance for those less familiar with TASM State Matrix features and setup. As with any Viewpoint portlet, you also have in-depth documentation of all portlet aspects in the on-line help, which is just a click away on the Question Mark icon in the upper right corner of the Viewpoint panel.

TASM configuration is just a traversal through the other options to configure states, sessions, filters, throttles, workloads, and exceptions. While working on a ruleset, it will be stored on Viewpoint until such time as you want to deploy it for possible usage. The ruleset will then be stored in Teradata for activation when necessary. Here's one last Workload Designer screen shot showing the available choices when configuring workloads.

The workload configuration header shows additional tabs for Workloads where classification of new workload definitions would be done. SLG Summary for setting service level goals against workloads. Evaluation Order for setting which workloads should be considered for classification prior to others and so forth.

Again this is just an appetizer into the capabilities of the new Workload Designer portlet, our most sophisticated portlet to date, and further advancement to Teradata's industry leading workload management offering.

TASM 13.10 New Features

It is worth mentioning the new TASM / workload management features being introduced with the Teradata 13.10 Database release. These new features are supported within the Workload Designer 13.10 portlet release. These new features include:

1) Improved Utilities Management: Provides overall improvement to TASM load utility management including improved classification criteria, workload-level utility throttling, utility load balancing, centralized load session management, and load Unit-of-Work (UOW) management.

2) Common Classifications: Achieves consistent classification criteria across all TASM features by applying full workload definition (WD) classifications to system filters and system throttles, providing a superset of classification options.

3) Additional TASM Workload Definitions: Extended the number of WDs to 250 from the prior limit of 40. TASM best practices still cite 12-30 WDs as sufficient for the majority of customers.

Querybands

The summary section mentioned addition of querybands as a new column to the query portlets summary view. Here's an example of the Query Monitor portlet showing the display configuration screen and the new queryband column for possible inclusion. The on-line help within Viewpoint describes this column as an "Entire query band string (query bands are a set of name-value pairs defined by the user to tag sessions or transactions with an ID through an SQL interface)".

The queryband column header, by default, is not displayed. So one will need to go into the display configuration as shown above and select the new column for display.

Documentation

Teradata Viewpoint 13.10 documentation is now available on the Teradata Developer Exchange for easy access. Check out the Teradata Viewpoint Configuration Guide and Teradata Viewpoint User Guide.

Training

Lastly but certainly worth mentioning is the available customer training for Teradata Viewpoint offerings. At the time of this article posting, there are two Teradata Education Network (TEN) courses that can assist you in better understanding Teradata Viewpoint and the associated portlet bundles. These are:

Check with your Teradata accounts team or Teradata Education Network for more information on Teradata training.

In closing, we hope that you find the Teradata Viewpoint and TASM Portlets 13.10 release as cool as we do. 

8 REPLIES

Re: Teradata Viewpoint 13.10 released

Hi Gary,

I am working on some specific requirement of Viewpoint 13.10. I would like to refer User Guide and Configuraiton Guide for VP V13.10. But the above links have been broken. I tried in Teradata Download page too. But NO LUCK. Can you share those copies if you have any.

Thanks,
Geeta.
Teradata Employee

Geeta,

The User and Configuration Guides for Viewpoint 13.11 should basically apply to Viewpoint 13.10 so I would recommend just leveraging those as they are still listed on DevX. I would also strongly suggest upgrading your Viewpoint instances if you are still on Viewpoint 13.10 as that release was in August 2010 (18 months ago) and now three major releases behind. You are not only missing a lot of valuable feature additions but patch updates as well.

Let me first inform you that right now, I am with new assignment at different client location, as you said I know about the great features with the recent versions (13.12 & 14), but TERADATA GSS folks are here at onsite and helping us to migrate data from Sybase to Teradata. I just came to know that when they initially discussed about implementing TERADATA, they came up wth VP 13.10. But by the time they are going to power up the nodes and initiate the system(in next couple of months) , there may be chance of changing the version to 13.12/14. But I need to prepare a document showing up both the versions features side by side. So want to see the old documents.

Thank you.
Geeta Kudumula.
Teradata Employee

Geeta,

Send me an email at gary.ryback@teradata.com and I can put you in contact with our Information Engineering group to provide the older documentation.

Gary

Sure, Thank You Gary.
kvz
N/A

Hi Gary,

I have viewpoint 14.10. I have created 3 workloads for high, medium and low levels (timeshare metod) and activated same. but in workload health portlet one of the workloads (workload in medium level) is showing inactive.

Do you have any idea, why it is showing inactive? 

Teradata Employee

Viewpoint 14.10 is getting a bit outdated as we already have Viewpoint 15.00 and 15.10 releases available. I have not however heard of this issue so I would recommend upgrading to 15.10 to see if that solves your issue or you can submit a Teradata Support Incident. Note that Viewpoint 15.10 supports the following Teradata DB versions (15.10, 15.00, 14.10, 14.00, 13.10). So it has an extensive Teradata DB support model. 

kvz
N/A

In workload health portlet ,If the workload is in INACTIVE state means,no queries are assigned to that workload at that particular time.You can see in the detailed view(click on workload) of workload that,no queries are running under that workload.You can also see in the query monitor that,no queries are running under workload.