Teradata Viewpoint 14.10 Release

Viewpoint
Teradata Viewpoint is Teradata's strategic and innovative SOV (single operational view) for Teradata DB, Aster, and HDP Hadoop systems management and monitoring that enables Teradata's Unified Data Architecture (UDA).
Junior Supporter

Re: Teradata Viewpoint 14.10 Release

Hi Shrity,

I am currently setting up viewpoint on our new 14 system. I have one question regarding the table space. Typically what should be the value of perm space and % skew for dbc.transientjournal that i can put there. Is there any way to reach at this figure for my system ?

--Samir

Teradata Employee

Hi Samir,

I would suggest to talk to your Teradata field (PS/CS) personal.

Thanks, Shrity

Enthusiast

Hello Shrity,

Hope you are doing good.

My Question is regarding COLLECT JOB in Stats Manager.

Under Collect Job, I have the list of databases(tables) and have scheduled to run them on every weekend.

Instead of scheduling it every weekend, How to schedule my COLLECT JOB based on table change/growth?  Where can I find that option in Collect Job?

[Whereas in ANALYZE JOB, we have some options in FUNCTIONS TAB (no. of days of data to analyze , approval before collect etc etc).  But, we dont have any such tab/options for collect jobs].

Thank you,

Sravan.

Junior Supporter

Hi Shrity,

I have a requirement that a certain set of users would be running some queries using an application id on production box. Those queries would be analytical in nature and might be bad. I want to set up an alert at session level with the requirement that, If a query from that application id takes more than say 50K cpu secs, i need to abort them and send an email alert.

My approach is :

I can create an alert in alert type- session. I can "include" this application id in "include or exclude users" list. This makes sure that this alert applies only to this id. I can choose 50K as AMP CPU and choose "abort session" to abort such qeueries and send them an alert. I believe, by selecting this application id in "include" section of "include or exclude users" list, this rule will apply ONLY to this id and not to the rest of the Ids on the platform. I have read the user guide and tested this (only sending alert message and not abort), but i wanted to be sure before enabling as this is a prod env.

Please let me know if my understanding is correct.

Thasnks , Samir

Junior Supporter

Hi Shrity,

Did you get a chance to look into this.

Thanks !

Teradata Employee

Samir,

In "Include or exclude users" option you can choose "users" and not "application id". If there is one to one mapping between users and application ids you can use that option and if you include a user the alert will only apply when an event occurs for that particular user.

Thanks

Shrity

Junior Supporter

Hi Shrity,

Thanks for the reply. When I check the alert setup, i can see application ids listed in the include option.I can see all kind of application id - BO, ETL etc. Users schedule jobs using these ids. Is this the one to one mapping that you talked about ? I am planning to have a distribution list set up for the users who will use this service id and create an action set for that distribution list and abort and notify them in the alert set up. Do you think this wont work or am i missing anything here ?

Thanks !

Samir

Teradata Employee

Samir,

Application id is different than Teradata user/username. In "Include and exclude user" option you can include and exclude Teradata users. If in your shop you have one user per application then you are good to go.

Thanks

Shrity 

Enthusiast

Hi Shrity 

I'm running a very long CHECKTABLE from the Viewpoint remote console - can you tell me where I can find the output from this (other than in the portlet), please?

Teradata Employee

Mark,

the output is not saved anywhere other than the Viewpoint portlet screen.

Thanks

Shrity