Viewpoint - 14 - Query Monitor issue

Viewpoint

Viewpoint - 14 - Query Monitor issue

We are experiencing issues with query monitor where we run a piece of SQL and it will run for close to 15 minutes but the SQL and Explain Tabs are not selectable.  Sometimes the Explain tab is selectable but it does not show us what step its currently running or have the times or rows filled in.   

6 REPLIES

Re: Viewpoint - 14 - Query Monitor issue

We have also discovered an issue with Query Monitor in Viewpoint 14.00 - When the system is very busy, we notice that some sessions do not refresh the Explain or the SQL code. We only pick up the change through our old PMON software that is still limping along.

Does anyone know why this might be occurring?

Teradata Employee

We also have exactly the same issue. It is not possible to follow an explain (it is always in the same step) , and sometime, when the machine is bussy, the explain is not selectable.

I'm also on ViewPoint 14.00

Teradata Employee

I have not heard of this issue. I'd suggest submitting a Teradata Services Incident to investigate this unusual behavior.

Teradata Employee

Any feedback on this issue? I also tried to adjust in the section Settings for Sessions Colletor: SQL and Explain threshold down to 1 sec. It didnt help.

Teradata Employee

I have reviewed the patch releases for both Viewpoint 14.0 as well as 14.01 and don't see any fixes I could link to this behavior. I'd be interested in the results of the recommendation to submit a support incident. 

Regarding the Sessions Collector and setting it to a low threshold, Viewpoint Sessions Collection is dependent on the related "Sessions Monitor Rate" that can be viewed in the Viewpoint Admin menus under "Monitor Rates". Setting your Sessions collection more frequent than the monitor rate session will result in duplicate data being pulled so let's not set that to 1 second. Best practices would put the rates at every 30 seconds. 

We experienced the same issue while running Viewpoint 14.0 against our 13.10 Teradata system.  Both the SQL and EXPLAIN tabs where disabled completely.  After logging on as root to the Linux Viewpoint server and stopping and starting the services, the Viewpoint tool began to work properly again.  It did seem to take a while after starting the servers though for the tabs to appear enabled again, probably over 10 minutes.

Below are the steps on starting/stopping these services.  Each service has an init script on the Teradata Viewpoint server located in the /etc/init.d directory.

The init scripts support the following command arguments: 

start - Starts the service. If the service is already running, a new instance is not started. 

stop - Stops the service. The script completes successfully even when the service is not running. 

restart - Stops and starts the service. 

status - Checks if the service is currently running.

For example, to start the Teradata Viewpoint portal, type:

/etc/init.d/viewpoint start

To stop the Teradata Viewpoint portal, type:

/etc/init.d/viewpoint stop

To restart the Data Collection Service, type:

/etc/init.d/dcs restart

To check if the Teradata Managed Server Monitor is running, type:  /etc/init.d/tmsmonitor status

To control or check the status of all Teradata Viewpoint services on the current server, type:

/opt/teradata/viewpoint/bin/vp-control.sh