Viewpoint Alert vs. TDManager

Viewpoint
Enthusiast

Viewpoint Alert vs. TDManager

Dear all,

I am not able to find the configuration in Viewpoint for those alertings under the category 'Event' that is present in TDManager? Examples are: System restart, Mini-cylpack, Internal Error, Deadlock ...

Am I missing out something in Viewpoint or how should these be achieved?

Thanks a lot for your help,

Warmest regards,
6 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Viewpoint Alert vs. TDManager

The "Event" category was not migrated from Teradata Manager to Viewpoint. These events should be monitored using Server Management at this time.
Enthusiast

Thanks a lot Stever, but can you elaborate a bit more on 'Server Management'? Like what it is and how can we receive/configure those alerts now?

To be honest, I would like to put those 'Event' alerts into one Viewpoint portlet, so that those infrastructure/system errors are visible and can help us tighten our problem resolution process. What would you recommend me to realize this? I am thinking of building my own collector to go into Teradata tables to obtain the information, but certainly I don't want to re-invent the wheel if Teradata does support it in some other way.

Warmest regards,
Teradata Employee

I asked the Server Management team for a response. Below is what they suggested, hopefully this helps.

"Server Management" or Server Management Web Services (SMWeb) is the Service interface to the Teradata platform, often accessed by Teradata Service personell via the Service Workstation (SWS). Most system events that are generated are consolidated by Server Management, knowledge is applied, and Alerts are derived. From Alerts, Incidents are created using the data supplied by Server Management via the Teradata Vital Infrastructure (TVI) for processing by Auto Incident Create (AIC). The Events and derived Alerts are available for viewing in SMWeb. Additionally, SMWeb provides an interface to subscribe for Alerts in the form of SNMP traps. Information about Server Management, SMWeb, and the Alert Subscription interface (including SNMP trap subscription) is available in the Teradata Server Management Web Services User Guide (example, B035-5350-030K) which is also available in the SMWeb online help system.
Enthusiast

Hi, is it possible to send test alerts from SMWeb w/ alert subscriptions enabled? My snmp trap receiver doesn't seem to be getting any alerts or traffic from SMWeb. I've set the subscription to send alerts with a severity >= 0 which I thought would send everything from 0-Unknown to 6-fatal but nothing seems to be coming into the trap server. I believe I've eliminated my trap server as the issue as I configured Viewpoint to send snmp messages and I'm receiving VP snmp messages as expected. Are there possible additional steps involved in getting SMWeb to send the alerts? Thanks.
Teradata Employee

Sorry can't help you with SMWeb questions. I'd suggest trying the Enterprise or General forum categories for that discussion.
Enthusiast

Thanks, for anyone interested, my issue was that CMIC needed to have network access to communicate with the SNMP server.