What Teradata products would you like to see in Viewpoint?

Viewpoint
Teradata Employee

What Teradata products would you like to see in Viewpoint?

We have begun discussions on the next candidate products for transition to Teradata Viewpoint. As you may already know, complete feature equivalence of Teradata Manager and Teradata Dynamic Workload Manager (TDWM) in Viewpoint will be realized in 1H2010. The next product plans are shaping up to be Teradata Administrator and Teradata Workload Analyzer (TWA).

Interested in your thoughts. Let us know.
29 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: What Teradata products would you like to see in Viewpoint?

Is viewpoint the right vehicle going forward? I personally am not too thrilled with it. However I am only a user of it, I am not given permission to tinker with the configuration.

The issues I find are that the interface is not intuitive, it uses a thid party database not Teradata, so the information is not readily accessible for analysis outside the tool. Thus I have to still query the TD base tables PDCR etc to get the information I need.

I see other DBAs and they still don't use it, their first port of call are the old tools rather than Viewpoint.

I would not stop development on the Traditional tools, viewpoint need time to develop and evolve alongside the existing toolset

random
Teradata Employee

I appreciate your feedback but I'm a bit surprised as this is not in line with the majority of customer feedback I receive on Viewpoint. The majority of feedback is very positive on it being a very intuitive, highly configurable, easy to use solution. Try the on-line help, it is very detailed and should guide you through any areas in question.

The choice of the data collection database really has nothing to do with accessibility. There are libraries within the PDK that provide access to all the data if necessary.

If you like, please contact me directly as I'd like to understand the rationale of still using the older tools. Again, this is not in line with the general consensus that state "we use Viewpoint for whatever we can and only use the prior tools where we have to".

Also we truly believe Viewpoint is absolutely the right vehicle for all this and we are moving forward on this belief very aggressively. There will be overlaps in releases where Viewpoint and the older tools will both work to allow for transition. However the older products will be discontinued as it doesn't make good business sense to invest in two solutions providing the same functionality. For example, Teradata Manager and TDWM 13.0 versions are the last releases of those products.

I would like to understand through this forum discussion, what information do you need when you mention having to query TD base tables and PDCR? Maybe this can drive valuable additions to Viewpoint. Let me know and again thanks for the feedback.
Teradata Employee

A bit surprised at the lack of response here.

So we are going to focus on Teradata Workload Analyzer to complete our TASM products transition and then initiate work on portlets for Teradata Adminstrator and improved Performance Management. The Teradata Administrator portlets should be complementary to our Agile Analytics offering. Still open to feedback if you want to contribute.
Teradata Employee

My client is asking if Viewpoint is available on 2580 appliance? If not can a 5600 viewpoint server also cover a 2580 appliance?
Teradata Employee

Teradata Viewpoint can manage a Teradata system running on the 2580 appliance. For this, Viewpoint could be installed in the 2580 or 5600 rack as long as there is room. Note that all systems need to be properly licensed.
Enthusiast

gryback,

Don't mean to be critical or cause offence. In our fairly recent implementation, we had several DBAs onsite, a significant number of Teradata consultants / impelmentation guys on site, and viewpoint implemented. When I noticed issues with the system, via viewpoint, and approached any of the above guys with those issues they did not use viewpoint to investigate, they went straight to the old tools.

Obviously being a new Teradata shop we have had some training, but the Teradata people leading the course did not know much about viewpoint. I think the concensus was that because it needed extra hardware to run, they did not have that. The older tools were always available.

I need to use Analytics tools to extract data directly from PDRC, and resusage tables to graph and trend the usage of the system. I need to be able to drill down and report on performance and then transfer those graphs with data to Office applications etc.

Perhaps we just need to see other viewpoint implementations.

Perhaps other posters here can help persuade me?

random
Teradata Employee

No offense taken. As you mention, there is a learning curve to any new tools especially one replacing a mainstay tool like Teradata Manager. What I have seen is that customers transition to Viewpoint where both tools are utilized over time.

So everyone understands, the PDCR is actually a Teradata Professional Services offer, not an R&D standard offering. So if someone is wondering why they don't have it, this is the reason. We have had in depth discussions with PS on the PDCR offering and when I mention "Performance Management" as a next candidate item, that is directly related to a portion of what PDCR provides today. As you probably already know, PDCR has lots of reports and creates their own data tables so it is not a trivial exercise to integrate that.

Again I appreciate the feedback and am open to an offline discussion in improving Viewpoint at your site if you so choose. And I too would like to see other postings on Viewpoint. Maybe this even warrants a new thread that has a more descriptive subject line.
Teradata Employee

If you are wanting to access the database used to store Viewpoint data there are many query tools (including SQL Assistant) that can be used to do that. While SQL Assistant 12 was never tested against a PostgreSQL database, version 13 was, and it includes the required language file and SQL example files used by the Query Builder.
Teradata Employee

We actually prefer access to the Viewpoint DCS through the PDK libraries versus direct SQL access.