Need help on query tuning

Analytics
Enthusiast

Need help on query tuning

Hello All,

We are working on a performance tuning request. We have a complex view and part of it as below-

LEFT OUTER JOIN
table1 A
on
(b.name2=a.name1 OR
b.name3=a.name1)

The recommendation was to change it as

LEFT OUTER JOIN
table1 A
on b.name2=a.name1
LEFT OUTER JOIN
table1 AA
ON b.name3=AA.name1

However, this is causing some data quality in calculated columns. Can you please help me in re-writing the code without any issue. This particular step is consuming lot of time and we can not ignore it. The explain plan is showing a cross join for this particualr step when we use 'OR' clause.

Thanks in Advance!

Prasanth.

3 REPLIES
Junior Contributor

Re: Need help on query tuning

The ORed join condition will result in a Product join in Explain.

If the logic is actually a kind of XOR, i.e. join using b.name3=a.name1 only if b.name2 is null , you can rewrite it using CASE logig, e.g. coalesce(b.name3, b.name2)=a.name1

Otherwise you can split in two left joins (but the you need a lot of COALESCEs) or in two Selects with UNION (not ALL).

Enthusiast

hi dnoeth,

Thanks for your quick reply. But, I need some more clarifiactions- 

1. i can not use coalesce function. There is no so such thing like either of the column is null

2. The LEFT join is a part of very big complex view, hence I can not re-write the whole query

I was just trying to write the LEF JOIN like this

LEFT JOIN

(sel name1 from table1 A

where a.name1 =b.name2

union

sel name1 from table1 AA

where AA.name1 =b.name3)

But I donot know how to add ON condition.

Could you please give an exact query to replicate the same funcitonality as the existing OR clause.

Thanks,

Prasanth.

Highlighted
Junior Contributor

To apply the UNION you must copy the whole query and remove one of the ORed conditions in each Select.