otranslate function handling string size limit

Analytics
Highlighted
Enthusiast

otranslate function handling string size limit

Hello,

I am using function 'otranslate' to count the number of commas in a string. The string has 600+ characters, when I applied OTRANSLATE(mystring, ',','') on it, I found that the result returned is not complete. It seems that the OTRANSLATE only functions on the first 400 + characters, which is wierd.

I found that there are similar questions in forum but no clear anwers yet. Can anyone throw a light?

Lorraine

Accepted Solutions
Ambassador

Re: otranslate function handling string size limit

OTranslate returns a VarChar(8000), if TYPE(OTRANSLATE(mystring, ',','')) returns something else there must be another UDF with the same name.

You can check for existing UDFs using

SELECT * FROM dbc.FunctionsV
WHERE FunctionName = 'oTranslate'

The builtin is stored in td_sysfnlib.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
8 REPLIES 8
Enthusiast

Though I found that I can use function 'REGEXP_REPLACE' to achieve the same goal, but I'm still curious of the string size limit for 'Otranslate'.

Ambassador

OTranslate returns a VarChar(8000), if TYPE(OTRANSLATE(mystring, ',','')) returns something else there must be another UDF with the same name.

You can check for existing UDFs using

SELECT * FROM dbc.FunctionsV
WHERE FunctionName = 'oTranslate'

The builtin is stored in td_sysfnlib.

Enthusiast

Thanks Dieter! I ran your code and there are indeed two functions names 'otranslate'. When I specify the database name and use TD_SYSFNLIB.OTRANSLATE(item_list, ',',''), the result returned is correct :)

Teradata Employee

Diether, please ;)

I am trying to call an update to volatile table from stored procedure. 

the query looks like 

When I call the procedure I still get a 3707 error. Aapostrophes are doubled.

Is there any known OTRANSLATE issue with stored procedures _? 

If you have any hints ... please let me know

thanks in advance

michal koubik

SyntaxEditor Code Snippet

SyntaxEditor Code Snippet
CALL DBC.SYSEXECSQL('

CREATE SET VOLATILE TABLE tmp_vcap_st4 ,FALLBACK ,
     CHECKSUM = DEFAULT,
     DEFAULT MERGEBLOCKRATIO,
     LOG
     (
      subscr_id INTEGER,
      asset_id INTEGER,
      party_name VARCHAR(1504) CHARACTER SET UNICODE NOT CASESPECIFIC,
      indiv_nm_gvn_nm VARCHAR(250) CHARACTER SET UNICODE NOT CASESPECIFIC,
      party_bday DATE FORMAT ''YYYY/MM/DD'',
      age INTEGER,
      p_age VARCHAR(100) CHARACTER SET LATIN CASESPECIFIC,
      g VARCHAR(100) CHARACTER SET UNICODE NOT CASESPECIFIC,
      p_g VARCHAR(1) CHARACTER SET UNICODE NOT CASESPECIFIC)
PRIMARY INDEX ( subscr_id ,asset_id )
ON COMMIT PRESERVE ROWS;

');  

CALL DBC.SYSEXECSQL(' UPDATE tmp_vcap_st4 FROM ( SELECT inh.subscr_id AS x_subscr_id, inh.asset_id AS x_asset_id ,fn.g AS x_p_g /*--,inh.p_g*/ FROM tmp_vcap_st4 AS inh INNER JOIN ( SELECT first_name_uni, first_name_c, g FROM db_crm.FIRST_NAMES QUALIFY ROW_NUMBER() OVER (PARTITION BY first_name_uni ORDER BY CAST(CNT AS NUMBER) DESC) = 1 ) AS fn ON (CAST(LOWER(OTRANSLATE(NVL(inh.indiv_nm_gvn_nm, ''000''),''á'',''a'')) AS VARCHAR(255)) = LOWER(fn.first_name_uni)) /*--WHERE inh.p_g IS NOT NULL*/ ) AS x SET p_g = x.x_p_g WHERE subscr_id = x.x_subscr_id AND asset_id = x.x_asset_id /*--AND p_g IS NULL -- komentuju a checkni s milikem*/ ;

Ambassador

Which error exactly? 3707 is a generic syntax error.

And why do you use Dynamic SQL when you don't  have any parameters?

Teradata Employee

Ghanském for reply !!
I use dynamic query because I create many volatiles and fear off failures of the proc in one session ...

If I run the update with otranslate alone it runs ok.
When put in procedure, which I am able to compile, the call fails.

Ambassador

I use dynamic query because I create many volatiles and fear off failures of the proc in one session ...

I don't understand what you mean, what's the difference between creating multiple VTs directly in SPL code vs. using Dynamic SQL?

the call fails

What's the exact error mesage?

Teradata Employee

Hi Deither, thanks for reply again.

I am using dynamic SQL because I use lot of the volatiles in late phases of the procedure (updates from, inserts to etc).

I would not be able to compile the proc if the volatiles were not created. So that is the reason.

I have cca 150 steps in the procedure (like building a house ... create, update, insert, create from, insert, update ... etc).

I do not have deep knowledge in writing the SP :( so probably I am going the wrong path.

Anyway - I solved the original trouble using doubled apostrophes from different keyboard in different environment.... I do not know what happend but it works for me now.

Regards