Need Server Side Password repository to avoid passwords in scripts

Connectivity
Enthusiast

Need Server Side Password repository to avoid passwords in scripts

Hi Forum,

We use TDWallet when running scripts with a wallet Password most of the time which works well.

However, we also have scripts that are run on the server & we want to avoid usig scripts that have hardcoded Passwords.

What does Teradata have to deal with this situation or is there a workaround?

Thanks 

5 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Need Server Side Password repository to avoid passwords in scripts

Hi OscarBoots,

You already have the solution : use TDWallet on the server.

Teradata Employee

Perhaps tdwallet "saved-key protection" versus the default password protection would be more suitable.

For more details issue the command:

tdwallet help security

(On a Linux server, not Windows)

Enthusiast

Thanks Waldar,

My mgr checked on th server side & he couldn't find any wallet files there.

Do I need to ask our IT people to install it there if it isn;t present?

Enthusiast

Thanks Fred,

We run queries on the server & this is where we need to get access to the wallet.

I've already got the wallet working where I run queries on my pc.

This is also a UNIX box so do I still have the capability?

Any specific instructions I should ask the IT team for to get the wallet installed on the server?

Thanks

Highlighted
Teradata Employee

Yes, tdwallet is available on Unix / Linux but it's optional; specifically, if you tell the setup script to install "all" products, that's interpreted as "everything except tdwallet". 

Typically if it's installed there will be a symlink from /usr/bin/tdwallet to the install directory (e.g. /opt/teradata/client/xx.yy/bin).

If they installed TTU from the TTU Base bundle, they should be able to simply re-run the setup script using that same bundle and explicitly request that tdwallet be added (by name or by the number displayed in the menu). Or they can extract the tdwallet package from the bundle (or download it from the Teradata Access support site with a Teradata At Your Service account) and install that way.

Note that there are some differences between the Windows and Unix / Linux implementations (since the Windows version uses Windows security) which are best explained in the online help.