Teradata Driver for .NET Core

Connectivity

Teradata Driver for .NET Core

Does anyone know of any options for connecting to a Teradata DB from .NET Core?

.NET Standard 2.0 doesn't support ODBC, and the current driver page from Teradata doesn't show a .NET Core provider.

https://downloads.teradata.com/download/connectivity/net-data-provider-for-teradata

This would be .NET Core running on a Debian docker image.

12 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: Teradata Driver for .NET Core

Would you provide info as to which company you are representing? Unfortunately, there isn’t any option at this time. Teradata is still in development of .NET Core Data Provider with a target release in 2018.

I can't comment on the name of the Client here. That's unfortunate that you won't be providing until sometime 2018. We've decided to go a different route.

This is highly unfortunate that TeraData is not providing a driver till 2018. There is a great adoption for .NET core both in enterprise and in public cloud. May be you should consider releasing a driver compliant with .NET 2.0 ADO.NET kind of targetting .NET core 2.0 and then start supporting other framework like EF core and so on. That will provide us some leverage. But now we have to take a different route

y2k

@NetFx, any update on .NET Core Data Provider? ...is there a planned release date or an update on how the development is going? Thanks!

Teradata Employee

Development is going well. I cannot provide a date; but I suggest you keep an eye on our official Nuget site

TH
Visitor

Hi

Could you provide a ballpark figure? One week? One month? 6 months? Q3? Q4?

We need to make technology choices during planning, i.e. .Net Core and EF Core. It would be helpful to know whether we can plan for using .Net Core or not. Asking us to search NuGet regularly with a 1 year estimate ("in 2018") doesn't help much. It has been nearly one year since OP, so I am hopeful you have a better estimate today. Thanks.

(PS! Would also help to know if it will be .Net Standard (hence backwards) compatible or only for Core.)

Also note that now .NET core 2.1 has been released. That is an LTS version. Having delayed so much you could as well take a few more days (or weeks as you may) and ensure it in .NET standards and works with both core and general .NET and it does not have any issues with .NET core 2.1 also

Teradata Employee

.NET Data Provider for Teradata version 16.20.2 supports .NET Core 2.0+ in addition to .NET Framework 4.5.2+. There are slight differences between the .NET Framework and .NET Core 2.0 versions; the differences are described in the online documentation; download it from https://www.nuget.org/packages/Teradata.Client.Provider/16.20.2# .

@NetFx wrote:

.NET Data Provider for Teradata version 16.20.2 supports .NET Core 2.0+ in addition to .NET Framework 4.5.2+. There are slight differences between the .NET Framework and .NET Core 2.0 versions; the differences are described in the online documentation; download it from https://www.nuget.org/packages/Teradata.Client.Provider/16.20.2# .

Thanks for all your work on the EF Core for Teradata provider.  I'm assuming that the provider doesn't support scaffolding the DbContext at the moment?  

How would you propose connecting to an existing DB and creating the necessary CRUD classes associated?  Manually write the class for each entity?