BTEQ hangs for large BTEQ file

Database
Enthusiast

BTEQ hangs for large BTEQ file

Hello,

Very basically, I have a BTEQ file that is 61,580 bytes. After running in circles for a short while, I have found that any BTEQ up to and including 61,440 bytes runs no problem, whilst anything over that just hangs indefinitely. Of course a simple fix is to reduce the file size ever so slightly, but that is not an option.

I've searched online and thought that the issue might be related to MaxParseTreeSeg in the dbscontrol, however I have increased this from 4000 up to 8000 and it hasn't solved the issue.

Any help regarding this fault is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: BTEQ hangs for large BTEQ file

Hello,

After having come across the above issue again (this time with a file much larger than the 61k limit we seem to have) I've discovered that the BTEQ appears to run correctly when run from the command line manually. If the BTEQ is however run with the exact same command line command, but from a shell script (ksh), it appears to hang indefinitely.

I will still be looking for a solution to this odd issue and should I find it I will update this post with the answer.

Cheers.

Teradata Employee

How are you processing the BTEQ file? Doesn't seem to be a BTEQ issue rather perhaps the shell issue perhaps.

Was there a resolution to this issue?  We are currently experiencing a similar issue.  We have narrowed our issue down to SQL text up to 1,350 characters works fine, but anything over that hangs as you have described.

Thanks!

Senior Apprentice

Hi,

Need to get a bit more detail.

Does the query reach the dbms (can you see it in VP/Query Monitor or using a MonitorSession udf call)?

If 'yes' then this probably isn't a BTEQ issue.

I regularly run BTEQ scripts that issue queries where the sqltext is 10K+ in size.

What version of BTEQ and the dbms are you using?

Cheers,

Dave

Ward Analytics Ltd - information in motion
www: http://www.ward-analytics.com

We have been told in our particular instance it does not reach database.  It is odd in that there is one particular environment that this is happening to us with.  We have other environments at same release that work fine.

The version of database with issues is 16.20.  We have tried bteq 15.10 and 16.20.  We have another 16.20 database and many 15.10 databases that those same bteq clients can access without issue.

Is there some sort of database parameter that may be playing into this?

Highlighted
Senior Apprentice

If it's 'not reaching the database' then it quite possibly is not a database issue.

If the problem happens from one particular client system then you might need to check the clispb.dat file on that system. This holds default values for CLI (which is the interface used by BTEQ). Check the "Teradata Call-Level Interface Version 2 Reference for Workstation-Attached Systems" for details of this file.

Other than that it might be (and this is beyond my knowledge level) a network issue between that client and the database server?

HTH

Dave

Ward Analytics Ltd - information in motion
www: http://www.ward-analytics.com
Teradata Employee

I had suggested that they unistall and reinstall the software to see if installation was the issue on this particular machine.

There is an incident already logged with the GSC.

Dave