Connecting VMware to Teradata Studio

Database
Enthusiast

Connecting VMware to Teradata Studio

Hi Forum,

Here's an issue I thought I'd resolved a while ago with the kind assistance of Dave Wellman, link below;

https://community.teradata.com/t5/Database/Download-a-working-Teradata-app-with-sample-tables/m-p/82...

I'm at the stage where I have VMWare & Teradata Studio installed & have completed the below steps;

1. Opened VMWare >> Player >> File >> Open & right click on the newly connected file and select Play virtual machine.
  2. I get the option to enter the Username & Password 'root'
  3. I see the Gnome Terminal on the desktop & click on it
  4. I get a cmd prompt and enter pdestate -a
  5. Result is the system is quiescent
  6. I get the output of the eth0 statement - inet , Bcast IP addresses etc

I go to connect to Teradata Express and use the Inet IP address with dbc as the user & password.

I replace the inet IP address with the Bcast IP address and dbc as the user & password.

I can't get the Test Connection to work?

I've tried pinging both IPs & only the Bcast IP will work.

Can anyone help here? 

33 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Re: Connecting VMware to Teradata Studio

I found that rather than try to connect to a downloaded Tearadata Express database app I could just go to Teradata tools >> Teradata SQL Assistant Java Edition.

I was able to connect to that.

I want to create tables and Stored Procedures & connect data to this app.

Does it have the same capabilities?

Thanks 

Enthusiast

Although I could connect, I wasn't able to create a table in the VMWare SQL Assistant app?

Permissions issue again?

Senior Apprentice

It might be permissions. What is the error code and message? That will tell you if it is permissions, syntax etc. etc.

Cheers,

Dave

Ward Analytics Ltd - information in motion
www: http://www.ward-analytics.com
Enthusiast

Thanks Dave,

I appreciate your patience in helping once again.

I've decided after many failed attempts to start over & ensure I've followed everything correctly.

First up to download the software for 'Teradata Express' from the below link;

https://downloads.teradata.com/download/database/teradata-express-for-vmware-player. 

This is the file name downloaded - TDExpress16.20_Sles11.

I then downloaded the VMWare software TD1300_19_4GB_VM.

A couple of questions;

• The recommended downloads from Teradata seem to be for Linux, is this a problem as I have a Windows 7 o/s?
  • I then followed the instructions from the install guide, very similar to yours about opening the VM Player, logging in using root as user & pwd, I then open the Gnome Terminal and type pdestate -a which gives me a message that the system is quiescent.

I think the problem is that the ping won't work at this point which would explain why it wouldn't work when I use the inet address to use in the connection credentials.

So I've posted below the results of my pinging my inet address.

I think the ping issue is the step I'm at I need to know what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks again.

ping_test.PNGping_test_2.PNG

Senior Apprentice

Hi Peter,

I think you've probably downloaded too many TD systems (or at least,more than you need).

My understanding from what you've written is that you've downloaded the following:

TDExpress16.20_Sles11. - this would appear to be a Teradata system running TD16.20 on on SELS11

TD1300_19_4GB_VM - this would appear to be a Teradata system running TD 13.0.**bleep**.

You need one of the above and the VM software from VMWare website. However, it already appears from your screenshot below that you have the VMPlayer software, so that should be ok.

Personally, I'd extract the "TDExpress16.20_Sles11" download file (probably a zip or 7z file) and use that. I would not use the "TD1300_19_4GB_VM" file.

Linux / Windows 7 question. No problem using W7, this is what I use most of the time as my VM host.

Once you've got the linux system up and running check that you can ping it from your W7 host.

In the linux (TD) system, open a terminal window and check the IP address:

use the following command: ifconfig

One of the lines will give you an 'inet' value.

Use this 'inet' address as the target of your ping, from either your W7 host or from within the linux system.

Check that the dbms itself is running.

use the following command: pdestate -a

Start your client tool of choice (TDStudio, SQLA Java edition, Bteq etc.) and use the 'inet' address as the server name. That should allow you to connect.

What you'll often find is that if you then close and restart your linux system, the 'inet' address will change (because it is assigned using dhcp). We'll address that later on.

See where the above gets you to.

Cheers,

Dave

Enthusiast

Thanks Dave,

I've uninstalled 'TD1300_19_4GB_VM' software as I want to do this correctly. The only thing is that proram was what I was using for the VM player. What should I install instead?

So now I only have the TDExpress16.20_Sles11 installed.

I need to know what VM software you recommend with a link if possible?

I'll then install it & go from there.

One other thing, I did notice that the VM player I installed had a Tools folder that contained Studio Express and a Java version of Studio Express, are they the same thing as what I am trying to set up here?

Thanks again

Peter  

@DaveWellman wrote:

Hi Peter,

I think you've probably downloaded too many TD systems (or at least,more than you need).

My understanding from what you've written is that you've downloaded the following:

TDExpress16.20_Sles11. - this would appear to be a Teradata system running TD16.20 on on SELS11

TD1300_19_4GB_VM - this would appear to be a Teradata system running TD 13.0.**bleep**.

You need one of the above and the VM software from VMWare website. However, it already appears from your screenshot below that you have the VMPlayer software, so that should be ok.

Personally, I'd extract the "TDExpress16.20_Sles11" download file (probably a zip or 7z file) and use that. I would not use the "TD1300_19_4GB_VM" file.

Linux / Windows 7 question. No problem using W7, this is what I use most of the time as my VM host.

Once you've got the linux system up and running check that you can ping it from your W7 host.

In the linux (TD) system, open a terminal window and check the IP address:

use the following command: ifconfig

One of the lines will give you an 'inet' value.

Use this 'inet' address as the target of your ping, from either your W7 host or from within the linux system.

Check that the dbms itself is running.

use the following command: pdestate -a

Start your client tool of choice (TDStudio, SQLA Java edition, Bteq etc.) and use the 'inet' address as the server name. That should allow you to connect.

What you'll often find is that if you then close and restart your linux system, the 'inet' address will change (because it is assigned using dhcp). We'll address that later on.

See where the above gets you to.

Cheers,

Dave

However, it already appears from your screenshot below that you have the VMPlayer software, so that should be ok.

Senior Apprentice

Hi Peter,

"VM player" is the software from VMWare (www.vmware.com). This software itself has nothing to do with a Teradata system, but is required. Download it from here.

The above software will allow you to run a VM (virtual machine) which is your Teradata system.

As an analogy, "vm player" is like Microsoft Word, whilst the VM is like your word document.

Once you've got "vm player" installed, start it and then 'open' the TDExpress16.20_Sles11 system. In VM Player, use CTRL+O and navigate to the folder where you extracted the TDExpress16.20_Sles11download. You should find a file with "vmx" extension. Now start ('play') your vm, this will start Linux and the Teradata dbms.

Cheers,

Dave

Highlighted
Enthusiast

Thanks Dave,

That VMWare site wouldn't allow me to download the VMWare so I downloaded the one I already had. 

• I browsed to the .vmx file and started playing the VM
  • I click on the Gnome Terminal Icon on the Desktop
  • I've tested with pdestate -a and got the result of system is quiescent
  • I've then typed in ifconfig & got the eth0 output with the inet IP of 192.168.44.128
  • I then used this IP as the connection to Teradata Express

I've attached the screenshots.

Any ideas?

Thanks Peter

ping_inet_address.PNGPing seems to work from Gnome Terminalping_fail.PNGPing won't work as connection IP 

Senior Apprentice

Hi Pete,

On the 'error' dialog box there should be a "Details >>>" button. Click that and look at the content to see if you can work out what is going wrong, otherwise paste the content here (preferably content and not a screen shot).

Please note that the 'test connection' button on this screen is not really a ping, it is a logon. make sure that the password entered in the logon details is correct.

Cheers,

Dave