Connecting VMware to Teradata Studio

Database
Enthusiast

Re: Connecting VMware to Teradata Studio

Thanks dnoeth,

Unfortunately that VMWare (TD1300_19_4GB_VM) I was using wasn't connecting to my 16.20 version of Teardata Express.
That's why I want/need to change it.
If you can suggest an answer to my connection and ping error, maybe I can still use it.
Btw, I didn't get any requests for payments for the other VMWare before I got that error?
Do you have a link to the VMWare I need? I can't find a suitable one.
Thanks Pete
Junior Contributor

TD1300_19_4GB_VM provides a Teradata system as a Virtual Machine, same as TDExpress16.20_Sles11, the former is an old Teradata 13 and the latter a new Teradata 16.20.

You already got the free VMWare Player, the software to run a VM.

Now open the 16.20 VM from VMWare Player as Dave showed you (or double-click on the VMX-file in Explorer).

You can connect either using the Teradata Studio Express found in the VM:

No need to check for the IP-address, simply use localhost or 127.0.0.1

Or you downloaded and installed the latest version of Teradata Studio on your local WIndows system:

After the VM started logon using root/root, open a terminal window, run ifconfig and note the inet addr (not the Bcast) of eth0.

Use this IP-address to ping/connect.

Enthusiast

Ok, so now I'm only using the TD Express 16.20 software.

Following the same instructions as Dave gave me, I go to File >> Open & browse to the .vmx file in the folder for the TDExpress software.

I get the below code & snapshot, from here in the TD1300_19_4GB_VM file, I would then select Play Virtual machine but this doesn't exist (or I can't find it)?

This can't be what you meant, so how do I get to the VM Player from just using the TD Express 16.20 software alone?

TDXpress_16.2_Browse_to_vmx.PNG

.encoding = "UTF-8"
displayname = "TDExpress16.20_Sles11"
annotation = "openQA Instance 50"
guestos = "sles11-64"
virtualhw.version = "10"
config.version = "8"
numvcpus = "1"
cpuid.coresPerSocket = "1"
memsize = "4096"
pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge4.functions = "8"
pciBridge5.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge5.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge5.functions = "8"
pciBridge6.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge6.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge6.functions = "8"
pciBridge7.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge7.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge7.functions = "8"
vmci0.present = "TRUE"
floppy0.present = "FALSE"
mks.enable3d = "false"
mks.enableMPTSupport = "false"
mks.use3dRenderer = "automatic"
svga.autodetect = "true"
svga.vramSize = "4194304"
scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0:0.deviceType = "disk"
scsi0:0.fileName = "TDExpress16.20_Sles11-disk1.vmdk"
scsi0:0.mode = "persistent"
scsi0:0.writeThrough = "false"
scsi0:1.present = "TRUE"
scsi0:1.deviceType = "disk"
scsi0:1.fileName = "TDExpress16.20_Sles11-disk2.vmdk"
scsi0:2.present = "TRUE"
scsi0:2.deviceType = "disk"
scsi0:2.fileName = "TDExpress16.20_Sles11-disk3.vmdk"
scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"
scsi0.present = "TRUE"
vmci0.unrestricted = "false"
vmci0.pciSlotNumber = "160"
ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
ethernet0.virtualDev = "vmxnet3"
ethernet0.connectionType = "bridged"
ethernet0.startConnected = "TRUE"
ethernet0.addressType = "generated"
ethernet0.wakeonpcktrcv = "true"
vcpu.hotadd = "false"
vcpu.hotremove = "false"
firmware = "bios"
mem.hotadd = "false"
nestedHVEnabled = "false"
powerType.powerOff = "soft"
powerType.reset = "soft"
powerType.suspend = "hard"
toolscripts.afterpoweron = "true"
toolscripts.afterresume = "true"
toolscripts.beforepoweroff = "true"
toolscripts.beforesuspend = "true"
tools.syncTime = "false"
tools.upgrade.policy = "manual"
chipset.onlineStandby = "FALSE"
Junior Contributor

You run a VM from VMWare Player, not from Teradata Studio [Express].

Either use Windows Explorer to navigate to the folder where you unzipped the TDExpress16.20_Sles1 VM and double-click the TDExpress16.20_Sles1.vmx file.

Or use the Windows start menu to locate & start VMWare Player and then Player-File-Open the TDExpress16.20_Sles1.vmx file.

Enthusiast

Thanks dnoeth,

I've taken your comment below as I don't need both software apps to do what I want to do, so I uninstalled the VMWare 13 software as Dave suspected it was maybe too old.

TD1300_19_4GB_VM provides a Teradata system as a Virtual Machine, same as TDExpress16.20_Sles11, the former is an old Teradata 13 and the latter a new Teradata 16.20.

So I couldn't install the suggested VMWare (As I got the error I posted) and the VMWare 13 won't ping, it doesn't leave me with any solution.

Thanks anyway, but it seems this is not able to be solved here.

Teradata Employee

For VMware Player download, try this non-version-specific link.

Note that there are three pieces to this puzzle: A Teradata Express VM image, VMware Player software, and a client software tool such as Teradata Studio [Express].

Refer to the Teradata Express for VMware User Guide (available from the same Teradata download site as the VM image) and post again if you have questions / issues.

Enthusiast

Thanks Fred,

I've downloaded that VMWare. 

I found that if I open the VMWare & then open my original version of TD Express 16.20 from My Programs, I get a java error.

However if I open the Teradata Express that appears on the desktop of the VMWare, it opens OK.

I then connected to Express using the inet IP address without a problem  Thanks !

Now I'm back to the Creation if Tables question I had originally. 

I want to now write SQL Create table queries in the Express but get the unable to create table permission problem...

I understand that the VMWare is the software (without having the software), but how do I connect to my PC using it?

Thanks Peter  

Junior Contributor

I want to now write SQL Create table queries in the Express but get the unable to create table permission problem...

You probably logged on as user dbc who is the system super user & owner of the system tables/metadata.

The default database of dbc is dbc and nobody (including dbc) has rights to create tables there (as it holds system tables only).

You should create a new user, e.g.

CREATE USER oscar AS PERM = 20e+09, PASSWORD = whatever;
GRANT ALL ON oscar TO oscar; -- standard rights like CREATE TABLE are granted automatically, but this adds CREATE PROCEDURE/FUNCTION/USER, etc.Now you logon using this new user, et voilà you got

Now logon using this user and start playing :-)

Highlighted
Enthusiast

Thanks dnoeth,

I ran the CREATE USER statement as an SQL statement in TD Express and restarted the VMWare in order to login again.

It would only accept root & root to log in.

Is this change supposed to allow me to login with my new details or have I done this wrong?

Thanks Peter

Junior Contributor

No, root is the operating system user of the VM, there's no need to restart the VM.

You created a Teradata user oscar, simply logoff from Teradata Studio and logon using oscar (similar to dbc/dbc).

If you saved the dbc password in your JDBC connection properties it will auto-connect when you double-click.To change user/password right click on the connection in Studio:

Unbenannt1.JPG

And open the properties:

Unbenannt2.JPG