Connecting VMware to Teradata Studio

Database
Enthusiast

Re: Connecting VMware to Teradata Studio

Thanks Dave,

Here's the complete details info after the 'Test Connection' fails;
Hopefully you can spot the problem here.  :  )

java.sql.SQLException: [Teradata JDBC Driver] [TeraJDBC 16.20.00.10] [Error 1340] [SQLState HY000] Message encryption failed. TdgssContext.wrap returned null.
	at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc_4.util.ErrorFactory.makeDriverJDBCException(ErrorFactory.java:95)
	at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc_4.util.ErrorFactory.makeDriverJDBCException(ErrorFactory.java:65)
	at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc.GenericTeraEncrypt.encrypt(GenericTeraEncrypt.java:426)
	at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc_4.io.TDNetworkIOIF.write(TDNetworkIOIF.java:1035)
	at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc_4.io.TDPacketStream.writeStream(TDPacketStream.java:787)
	at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc.GenericLogonController.run(GenericLogonController.java:571)
	at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc_4.TDSession.<init>(TDSession.java:211)
	at com.teradata.jdbc.jdk6.JDK6_SQL_Connection.<init>(JDK6_SQL_Connection.java:36)
	at com.teradata.jdbc.jdk6.JDK6ConnectionFactory.constructSQLConnection(JDK6ConnectionFactory.java:25)
	at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc.ConnectionFactory.createConnection(ConnectionFactory.java:181)
	at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc.ConnectionFactory.createConnection(ConnectionFactory.java:171)
	at com.teradata.jdbc.TeraDriver.doConnect(TeraDriver.java:236)
	at com.teradata.jdbc.TeraDriver.connect(TeraDriver.java:162)
	at com.teradata.datatools.dtp.connectivity.db.teradata.TeradataJDBCConnection.makeConnection(TeradataJDBCConnection.java:282)
	at com.teradata.datatools.dtp.connectivity.db.teradata.TeradataJDBCConnection.createConnection(TeradataJDBCConnection.java:124)
	at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.DriverConnectionBase.internalCreateConnection(DriverConnectionBase.java:105)
	at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.DriverConnectionBase.open(DriverConnectionBase.java:54)
	at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.drivers.jdbc.JDBCConnection.open(JDBCConnection.java:96)
	at com.teradata.datatools.dtp.connectivity.db.teradata.TeradataPingFactory.createConnection(TeradataPingFactory.java:36)
	at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.internal.ConnectionFactoryProvider.createConnection(ConnectionFactoryProvider.java:83)
	at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.internal.ConnectionProfile.createConnection(ConnectionProfile.java:359)
	at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.ui.PingJob.createTestConnection(PingJob.java:76)
	at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.ui.PingJob.run(PingJob.java:59)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:56)
Ambassador

Hi,

It looks like you've got an encryption error - which s nothing that you can do anything directly about. The first line of that output shows:

Message encryption failed. TdgssContext.wrap returned null

In your 'database connection properties', try removing the 'EncryptData' property (or set it to No, Off etc.).

- display the properties

- select that entry

- click the 'Remove' button

- save the connection details

Cheers,

Dave

Ward Analytics Ltd - information in motion
www: http://www.ward-analytics.com
Enthusiast

Thanks Dave,

I've changed the Encryption option to 'OFF' but the ping still fails?

encrypt_off.PNG

Enthusiast

Sorry, I didn't add the detail:

java.sql.SQLException: [Teradata JDBC Driver] [TeraJDBC 16.20.00.10] [Error 1340] [SQLState HY000] Message encryption failed. TdgssContext.wrap returned null.
	at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc_4.util.ErrorFactory.makeDriverJDBCException(ErrorFactory.java:95)
	at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc_4.util.ErrorFactory.makeDriverJDBCException(ErrorFactory.java:65)
	at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc.GenericTeraEncrypt.encrypt(GenericTeraEncrypt.java:426)
	at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc_4.io.TDNetworkIOIF.write(TDNetworkIOIF.java:1035)
	at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc_4.io.TDPacketStream.writeStream(TDPacketStream.java:787)
	at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc.GenericLogonController.run(GenericLogonController.java:571)
	at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc_4.TDSession.<init>(TDSession.java:211)
	at com.teradata.jdbc.jdk6.JDK6_SQL_Connection.<init>(JDK6_SQL_Connection.java:36)
	at com.teradata.jdbc.jdk6.JDK6ConnectionFactory.constructSQLConnection(JDK6ConnectionFactory.java:25)
	at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc.ConnectionFactory.createConnection(ConnectionFactory.java:181)
	at com.teradata.jdbc.jdbc.ConnectionFactory.createConnection(ConnectionFactory.java:171)
	at com.teradata.jdbc.TeraDriver.doConnect(TeraDriver.java:236)
	at com.teradata.jdbc.TeraDriver.connect(TeraDriver.java:162)
	at com.teradata.datatools.dtp.connectivity.db.teradata.TeradataJDBCConnection.makeConnection(TeradataJDBCConnection.java:282)
	at com.teradata.datatools.dtp.connectivity.db.teradata.TeradataJDBCConnection.createConnection(TeradataJDBCConnection.java:124)
	at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.DriverConnectionBase.internalCreateConnection(DriverConnectionBase.java:105)
	at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.DriverConnectionBase.open(DriverConnectionBase.java:54)
	at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.drivers.jdbc.JDBCConnection.open(JDBCConnection.java:96)
	at com.teradata.datatools.dtp.connectivity.db.teradata.TeradataPingFactory.createConnection(TeradataPingFactory.java:36)
	at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.internal.ConnectionFactoryProvider.createConnection(ConnectionFactoryProvider.java:83)
	at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.internal.ConnectionProfile.createConnection(ConnectionProfile.java:359)
	at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.ui.PingJob.createTestConnection(PingJob.java:76)
	at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.ui.PingJob.run(PingJob.java:59)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:56)
Ambassador

Hi Peter,

Sorry my mistake. Given that there is a problem with encryption in that VM I think it is always going to fail.

As I said above, the 'text connection' isn't really a ping it is a logon, and with Teradata the logon command is always encrypted.

You might be able to fix that but I'm not sure how to direct your efforts.

From your last screen shot I think you're using a TD 13 system. This is very old and is not a good basis from which to learn Teradata.

If you've got your 'td 16.20' vm available that will be a lot better (it is the current release - ish).

You can check this using BTEQ from the command line. In the following instructions the bold text is what you type in, then press the 'enter' key where these instructions say "[ENTER]"

- open a gnome terminal window

- type in: bteq [ENTER]

- type in: .logon 192.168.44.128/dbc [ENTER]

- type in: dbc [ENTER]

(wait for response to this logon command)

- type in: select * from dbc.dbcinfov; [ENTER]

This should return 3 lines of output. The Version and Release lines will show your version of Teradata.

- type in : .quit; [ENTER]

(this will close bteq and return you to the gnome terminal prompt).

HTH

Dave

Enthusiast

This worked, I've posted below what I've got;

So, from here, how I can I connect & create tables & Stored Procs, Macros etc using Teradata Express?

Thanks Again!

select_results.PNG

Ambassador

Hi Pete,

Ok, so you've managed to logon using BTEQ (which is good) and have confirmed that the TD release is 13.0.

Thinking it through a bit more I don't know what your problem is with TDStudio/JDBC because even Bteq will require the logon command to be encrypted.

Once again, your TD version (13.0) is 'very' old and you will be able to create macros, sp's etc but will be missing newer functionality.

Also, Bteq is not the most user friendly interface (note 'typical British understatement' there!). I strongly recommend you try and get a high version of TD running and probably use TDStudio etc. as your tool.

Cheers,

Dave

Enthusiast

Hi Dave,

I got this warning when I went to download the VMWare from the link you added in this post.

I've tried to download other VMWare products (Version 14, 15) but they don't seem to have the .vmx files to browse to?

I'm pretty much done with this process but I am surprised how difficult it has been even with your assistance.

Can any Teradata employees shed any light on this issue before I close this post ?

Thanks again Dave.   

Enthusiast

Hi Dave,

I got this warning when I went to download the VMWare from the link you added in this post.

I've tried to download other VMWare products (Version 14, 15) but they don't seem to have the .vmx files to browse to?

I'm pretty much done with this process but I am surprised how difficult it has been even with your assistance.

Can any Teradata employees shed any light on this issue before I close this post ?

Thanks again Dave.  denied.PNG

Ambassador

You don't have to download VMWare Workstation (fails because you have to pay for it), you already got VMWare Player (based on the screen shots you showed earlier). VMWare provides different versions of it's software to run VMs (from free to very expensive).

As you already succeeded in getting TD1300_19_4GB_VM up and running you simply do the same with the TDExpress16.20_Sles11 VM