How to hide databases from users?

Database
Highlighted
Enthusiast

How to hide databases from users?

Hi

We are running a big shared Banking EDW where all of our Developers and End Users are using Teradata Studio to explore database objects.

Our End Users i a Bank have a specific root database with subject matter databases with views that they can access.

These views rely on a WHERE BANK_ID= BANK1 to select from central EDW tables.

Our issue is that End Users have access to the complete EDW object structure when they use Teradata Studio. Their Access Rights will prevent them from running code agains anything other that the Views they are granted but they get super confused about the Complete Database Structure showing up in Studio or Other Tools they use to connect.

Is they any way to limit what objects(databases) a user can see when they explore the EDW?

I would like for them to only see the databases containing views they can actually use.

I have looked into Secure Zones but the Zone would then only hold the Views and I am not sure they can SELECT from table objects outside the Zone.

Best Regards and thanks for reading

Klaus

3 REPLIES
Junior Contributor

Re: How to hide databases from users?

Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply

I have looked into X-Views but had to let it go because the users had to enable it manually fiddling around in menues.

I am looking for something that works accross all connection types (ODBC from Excel, SAS, Teradata Studio) for Novice users.

Configured at the Teradata Level where we are in control.

Plug in your preferred SQL/Reporting product and get a view of the Database Objects you can use. Not all the junk.

Regards

Klaus

Teradata Employee

It's not hard to edit the Studio package to change the default configuration options, before distributing the software (or publishing it to an internal repository).

For ODBC or SAS, if users are setting up their own connections they are already "fiddling around". If setting up initial connections is scripted, e.g. as part of the driver software install, then I suspect you could add setting XViews option to that process.