Is npath built into Teradata 16.10?

Database
Highlighted
DJM
Enthusiast

Is npath built into Teradata 16.10?

Reading through the documentation on 16.10, I came across the Teradata Analytic Functions doc, B035-1206-151K.

It seems as though starting with 15.10 the npath function may be built into Teradata database and doesn't require Aster, but I may be interpteting the documentation incorrectly.

Can someone possibly verify if npath is built into Teradata Database 16.10?

We are currently on 15.00 and looking to upgrade. There's some interest with our data analysts in npath, so it's inclusion would be good news to them.

Thank You

Accepted Solutions
Teradata Employee

Re: Is npath built into Teradata 16.10?

Yes, nPath is available in TD 16.10 and doesn't require Aster system. Starting in TD 15.10.6.1 nPath and Sessionize are available within Teradata. More analytic functions are going to be added in future TD releases.

Please note, TD Analytics Functions will not be available automatically. They need to be installed and enabled explicititly by Teradata support. Contact your Teradata account team and let them know so they can arrange accordingly.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
16 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Yes, nPath is available in TD 16.10 and doesn't require Aster system. Starting in TD 15.10.6.1 nPath and Sessionize are available within Teradata. More analytic functions are going to be added in future TD releases.

Please note, TD Analytics Functions will not be available automatically. They need to be installed and enabled explicititly by Teradata support. Contact your Teradata account team and let them know so they can arrange accordingly.

DJM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply! We'll get this added to our upgrade change control for 16.10.

Enthusiast

Hi, do the Teradata installation on the VMs (Teradata Express for VMware Player and Teradata on VMware Developer Tier) have the analytics functions already enabled or they need to be manually enabled? Thanks

Junior Contributor

At least the new TDExpress 16.20 has nPath & Sesssionize.

Enthusiast

Thanks, I checked you are right. BTW, do you know why I get a pop-up window when I am trying to run an npath querry that produces a temporary column generated by an "accumulate" parameter and TD tries to save it on disk? It looks that TD can not accomodate the temporary storage of this accumulation (Result (accumulate(titles OF ANY(ENGR,OTHER,CEO)))

The pop-up window says:

Specify the disposition of LOB data

Location for column job_transition_path is not a directory

###############################################################

SELECT dt.job_transition_path, count(*) AS numbers FROM NPATH (
ON radu_npath.link2 PARTITION BY userid ORDER BY startdate
USING
MODE (NONOVERLAPPING)
Pattern ('CEO.ENGR.OTHER*')
Symbols (titles like 'software eng%' AS ENGR,
true AS OTHER,
titles like 'Chief Exec Officer' AS CEO)
Result (accumulate(titles OF ANY(ENGR,OTHER,CEO))
AS job_transition_path)
) as dt GROUP BY 1 ORDER BY 2 DESC;

Thanks

Junior Contributor

Are you running this from SQL Assistant?

Then the resulting datatype of the job_transition_path is probably a VarChar greater than the defined number in

Tools > Options > Data Format > "Handle Varchar columns as CLOBs if size >"

Enthusiast

Thanks for the quick reply, I was running it from the Teradata Studio Querry Development Window. I will try it from the SQL Assistant.

Enthusiast

One question, with npath querries the temporary columns cand reach well over 16384 which is the maximum value to set in the above mentioned parameter, what will happen then? I am talking abot the > 1 mio rows from the bank or ad web samples....

As for the Sql Assistant I can't sem to get it running on this example, I can't see any result window :(

Enthusiast

I managed to have it running in the TD Studio by unchecking the LOB Disposition in the popuo. The funny thing is that the number of rows is only 5 (lower that the 16K chars limit) but the pop-up stil appeared. I don't know how to keep it silent. The accumulated columns appears like that in the result (added Snippet keyword|):

Snippet:[Chief Exec Officer, Software Engineer,