Link to download of TTU that supports the PIVOT feature

Database
Enthusiast

Link to download of TTU that supports the PIVOT feature

Hi.

I had downloaded a version of Teradatas TTU package but unfortunately it doesn't support the PIVOT feature which is what I need.

This is the link I used but it isn't clear which one is late enough to include PIVOT?

http://downloads.teradata.com/download/tools/teradata-tools-and-utilities-windows-installation-packa...

What should I download to be able to use the PIVOT function?

I can't see any database Versions to ensure I get the right one??

Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Teradata Employee

Re: Link to download of TTU that supports the PIVOT feature

Hi Peter,

Maybe you overlooked a bit what Teradata is. It's not a software on your computer like Excel or Notepad.

It's a complex database system, which is also a MPP (Massively Parallel Processing).

To achieve this, Teradata is mostly appliances (also available on the cloud), which can also be connected to other Teradata cabinets for more power/storage with linear scaling.

Check the Intelliflex demo here :

https://www.teradata.com/intelliflex-demo

The Teradata Database Express on VM is provided mostly to test new features and offers a personnal sandbox where you can mess with the parameters affecting no one. This is not for production runs, just to test things out.

You're way to focused on this PIVOT syntax.

Everyone has been pivoting datas in BI since BI exists, and there was no PIVOT operator then.

There are many many many workarounds, with plain SQL solutions, macro / stored procedure solutions, third-party reporting tools, any programming langage solution that can connect to a DB (Java, R, Python for the most recent and popular ones).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
4 REPLIES
Junior Contributor

Well, you can ask the same question over and over again, but the answer will not change:

PIVOT is a database but not a client feature. You already got the latest 16.20 client, but you need a Teradata Database running 16.00 or newer to PIVOT.

Teradata Employee

Hi Peter,

Maybe you overlooked a bit what Teradata is. It's not a software on your computer like Excel or Notepad.

It's a complex database system, which is also a MPP (Massively Parallel Processing).

To achieve this, Teradata is mostly appliances (also available on the cloud), which can also be connected to other Teradata cabinets for more power/storage with linear scaling.

Check the Intelliflex demo here :

https://www.teradata.com/intelliflex-demo

The Teradata Database Express on VM is provided mostly to test new features and offers a personnal sandbox where you can mess with the parameters affecting no one. This is not for production runs, just to test things out.

You're way to focused on this PIVOT syntax.

Everyone has been pivoting datas in BI since BI exists, and there was no PIVOT operator then.

There are many many many workarounds, with plain SQL solutions, macro / stored procedure solutions, third-party reporting tools, any programming langage solution that can connect to a DB (Java, R, Python for the most recent and popular ones).

Enthusiast

Thanks dnoeth,

I thought that PIVOT was a function that was only available in 16.20 or above.

Same as other software products.

So I guess the company database isn't 16.20 or above & therefore I can't use PIVOT even though I have installed the 16.20 version on my PC.

Highlighted
Enthusiast

Thanks Waldar,

I appreciate the info and thanks to you, dnoeth & others, I'm more aware of what Teradata is & does.

My role is to interrogate datasets and where possible, improve capability in reporting.

This particular query needed improving so I wanted to see what's possible.

I was indeed thinking of Teradata as a program like MS Access (with much more capability).

Apologies for the million questions but I'm quite stubborn when I have a task to complete.  :  )

Now I know that this can't be done with the existing system, I'll pass this on.

Thanks again.

Peter