TD16.20 VM Communication?

Database
Enthusiast

TD16.20 VM Communication?

Anyone know where to find a manual or help guide that discusses how to setup VMWare so that apps from outside of it (like Studio) can communicate with TD16.20 running inside of it?  I tried to set up NAT like I did with the 15.10 version but could not get it to work so ended up going with an automatic bridge connection.  That works okay but changes the IP every time I restart the database which is kind of a pain and does not work at all unless I am connected to a solid WIFI network.  Any suggestions?  All of the documentation I can find is around the database and I can't find anything that talks about configuring the VM itself.

12 REPLIES 12
Teradata Employee

Re: TD16.20 VM Communication?

Hi.

You must see the NAT configuration for VMWare. This can be done with vmnetcfg.exe (that is hidden, but you can manage to get it).

Other solution is look at the network connections in windows and see the virtual adapters. VMNet8 is the adapter for NAT. From there you can take the information to configure the network settings inside the TD 16.20 Virtual Machine and set a static ip address for it (disable DHCP). 

HTH.

Cheers.

Carlos.

Highlighted
Teradata Employee

There's nothing Teradata-specific about this. You may need to check VMware knowledge base and/or Linux documentation.

Power down the VM, set it to NAT, power it up.

Once it's up, open a terminal window in the VM (as root) and use "ip addr show eth0" to check the status. Verify that the interface is up and which virtual IP address it's using.

If it looks OK but you still can't connect, try renewing the lease via "dhcpcd --release eth0" followed by "dhcpcd eth0" (and then check again to see status / IP).

Enthusiast

I really aprpeciate the help and have tried both of the solutions you guys have mentioned but I think the problem here is that I really do not know much abotu networking and so going down the general path you guys have mentioned does not work because of operator error.  As an example, in my 15.10 VM, there was an explicit set of instructions that told me exactly how to set my NAT8 IP addresses both on my laptop and in the VM to get that to work.  For the 16.20 version, I cannot find any such instructions and so am kind of guessing.

Here is an example, if I look at my NAT8 connection on my laptop, I can see the specific IP address and subnet mask that I used when I setup my 15.10 VM and that still works fine.  Then, if I go in my 16.20 VM, I can set it to use NAT8 but then I do not know what address to use when I setup a Studio or TPT connection and nothing I have tried works.  Is there somewhere where there are explicit connection instructions and, if not, can someone please maybe write some down and share them?  It is kind of frustrating.

Teradata Employee

Offhand I can't think of any networking differences between TD Express 15.10 and 16.20 VMs.

What happens if you try to follow the same instructions? Where are you getting stuck / what's different?

Enthusiast

Here are my 15.10 settings:

1. On my laptop NAT8 is setup as follows:  TCP/IPV4 IP Address = 192.168.100.1 and subnet mask = 255.255.255.0
  2. On my VMWare Player:  Network adapter is set to Custom(VMNet8)
  3. In Studio Express, the JDBC Connection is set to connect to 192.168.100.10

These all work fine with 15.10 but when I try to use these same settings with 16.20, I cannot ping or connect to any databases.  Not even DBC.

What does work for 16.20 is if I set the VMWare player up as an automatic bridged network connection and the use the IP address I get from 'ifconfig eth0' in the JDBC connection string.  That is okay but then whenever I bounce my Teradata instance I get a new IP adress and have to cascade it to everything that is connected.  It's also a nuisance that the bridged connection won't work unless I have an active WIFI connection so I cannot use it anywhere I am off the grid (like airplanes).

Suggestions?

Teradata Employee

Hi.

As Fred said, this has nothing to do with Teradata. 

Again, you must go to the network configuration INSIDE the VM and set a static IP for eth0 in the range 192.168.100.nn (but no to 00, 01, 02 or whatever other VM's ip addresses in your virtual network.)

>>"but I think the problem here is that I really do not know much abotu networking"

Then, it seems this is a good moment to start learning...

HTH.

Cheers.

Carlos.

Enthusiast

Okay fine.  Always willing to learn but do we have any documentation anywhere that says how to do that?  If this is a necessary step to getting our VM version to work, I would assume we have not just ignored it by saying it's not our problem.

Teradata Employee

The "necessary step" is finding the IP address needed to connect. That's the same regardless of which networking option you choose (e.g. ifconfig eth0 or ip addr show eth0).

The default networking when you download the VM is "bridged" which potentially allows external clients (not just the host) to connect, but as you point out you need to be connected to an external network and DHCP server to get any access at all. And the IP address can keep changing because it's dependent on that external network.

Switching to NAT (or host-only) avoids the need for an external network, and the IP address will generally remain the same (though in theory it can change if you don't assign a static IP).

Enthusiast

Okay, fair enough but that is still a general description.  What I need and what I cannot find is a step by step series of setup instructions that explicitly details how to setup the networking for the VM, laptop and access tools.  Where can I find that?