TPT JRE compatibility issue

Database
Enthusiast

TPT JRE compatibility issue

Hi Forum,

I've downloaded the Teradata TTU pack and would like to use TPT.

I went to run it & got an error about a 32 bit DLL file running on a 64bit pc.

Just to cover all bases, I then downloaded the x586 JRE & still got the same error (attached).

Is there a fix for this?

Thanks PeterJRE_Error.PNG

9 REPLIES
Highlighted
Teradata Employee

Re: TPT JRE compatibility issue

Simplest workaround is probably to edit

C:\Program Files (x86)\Teradata\Client\16.20\Teradata Parallel Transporter\tptwizard\tptwizard.cmd

to add 32-bit Java to the front of the PATH before invoking the wizard, something like this:

SET PATH=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_191\bin;%PATH%

Or create your own "wrapper" batch file that sets the path and then invokes tptwizard.cmd.

Note: You can run TPT without the wizard. It's fairly simple, particularly if you use the "templates" - see the discussion in the User Guide and examples in the "...\sample\userguide" folder that is part of TPT install. Also tptwizard is deprecated, and slated to be removed in a future release.

Enthusiast

Thanks Fred,

I have a colleague who uses a GUI interface where he just adds the parameters one at a time & doesn't need to code anything.

I thought that was what I was going to see also.

Is this error stopping me from seeing that interface and therefore I need to fix this before I will be able to use it?

As a workaround, would you be able to explain to someone like me (who hardly ever uses the cmd prompt to do anything) exactly what I need to write and where so I can fix this?

Thanks again

Peter

Teradata Employee

OK - here's one approach:

Double-check the path to 32-bit java.exe on your system. It should be under C:\Program FIles (x86)\Java but the next level will depend on what patch level of Java is installed.

Edit the tptwizard.cmd file, and add the SET PATH statement (with the correct Java path) immediately after all the "@" comment lines, then save the revised file as tptwizard32.cmd. Unless you are using elevated privileges to run the editor, you won't be able to save it to the original Program Files location, but that's OK - save it anywhere.

Make a copy of the TPT Wizard shortcut / icon on the desktop (rename it if you want). Right-click the copy and choose Properties, then change the Target to point to your new tptwizard32.cmd (with the correct full pathname).

Use the new shortcut and it should launch the wizard.

You might also look at the OleLoad utility or Teradata Studio Express, both of which also provide a GUI interface to assist with loading moderate amounts of data.

Enthusiast

Thanks Fred,

I've located the jave.exe file at the below path;

C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_191\bin\java.exe

I've then found the tptwizard file but I can'r find any '@' symbol to ADD THIS PATH?

@Echo off
@rem
@rem  Copyright 2003-2018, Teradata Corporation. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
@rem  TERADATA CONFIDENTIAL AND TRADE SECRET.
@rem

@rem
@rem  Teradata Parallel Transporter Wizard startup script for Windows
@rem

set TPT_MIN_JAVA_VERSION=1.4.2_06

set TPT_RC_OKAY=0
set TPT_RC_WARNING=4
set TPT_RC_USER_ERROR=8
set TPT_RC_FATAL_ERROR=12

set TPT_SAVE_TWB_ROOT=%TWB_ROOT%
set TPT_SAVE_PATH=%PATH%
set TPT_SAVE_MSGCATLOCATION=%_MSGCATLOCATION%

set TWB_ROOT=C:\Program Files (x86)\Teradata\client\16.20\Teradata Parallel Transporter
set PATH=%TWB_ROOT%\..\bin;%PATH%
set _MSGCATLOCATION=%TWB_ROOT%\..\bin

set TWB_MSGCATNAME=twbmsgs

set CONFIG_PROPS=C:\Program Files (x86)\Teradata\client\16.20\Teradata Parallel Transporter\tptwizard\config\tptwizard.properties
set TPT_CONFIG_PROPS=C:\Program Files (x86)\Teradata\client\16.20\Teradata Parallel Transporter\twbcfg.ini
set DEFAULT_LOG_DIR=C:\Program Files (x86)\Teradata\client\16.20\Teradata Parallel Transporter\logs

echo Info: Launching Teradata Parallel Transporter Wizard ...
echo       Keep this window running.
echo       This window will automatically close after exiting
echo       Teradata Parallel Transporter Wizard.
echo.

java -version

set TPT_RC=%ERRORLEVEL%
echo.

if "%TPT_RC%" == "9009" (
   echo Error: java.exe program was not found on this computer.
   echo.
   echo Remedy: Install "Java SE Runtime Environment (JRE)" %TPT_MIN_JAVA_VERSION% or later.
   echo         Then, re-run Teradata Parallel Transporter Wizard.
   echo.
   echo         To download the JRE, visit the website at
   echo         http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads
   echo.
)

if "%TPT_RC%" == "0" (
   java -Xmx100m -Xss1m -DTERADATA_PARALLEL_TRANSPORTER_CONFIG="%CONFIG_PROPS%" -DTWB_CFG="%TPT_CONFIG_PROPS%" -DLOGDIRECTORY="%DEFAULT_LOG_DIR%" -cp jars\tptwizard.jar;jars\terajdbc4.jar;jars\tdgssjava.jar;jars\tdgssconfig.jar;%ORACLE_HOME%\jdbc\lib\ojdbc14.jar;%ORACLE_HOME%\jdbc\lib\classes111.zip;%ORACLE_HOME%\jdbc\lib\nls_charset12.jar;jars com.teradata.jgui.twb.TWBGui
   set TPT_RC=%ERRORLEVEL%
)

set TWB_ROOT=%TPT_SAVE_TWB_ROOT%
set PATH=%TPT_SAVE_PATH%
set _MSGCATLOCATION=%TPT_SAVE_MSGCATLOCATION%

set TPT_RC_OKAY=
set TPT_RC_WARNING=
set TPT_RC_USER_ERROR=
set TPT_RC_FATAL_ERROR=
set TPT_TLOGVIEWEXE_PROG=
set TPT_SAVE_PATH=
set TPT_SAVE_TPT_ROOT=
set TPT_SAVE_MSGCATLOCATION=
set TWB_MSGCATNAME=

if not "%TPT_RC%" == "0" pause

set TPT_MIN_JAVA_VERSION=

exit /B %TPT_RC%

Or have I misunderstood your instructions?

Thanks

Teradata Employee

Just insert near the top of the tptwizard.cmd script, for example::

@rem Teradata Parallel Transporter Wizard startup script for Windows @rem @rem Need 32-bit Java; must edit the following line if Java update applied
set PATH=C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_191\bin;%PATH%
set TPT_MIN_JAVA_VERSION=1.4.2_06
Enthusiast

Thanks I've added the PATH line but I'm getting the same error?

Was I supposed to add the "@rem Need 32-bit Java; must edit the following line if Java update applied" also?

Enthusiast

did notice that there's another tptwizard.cmd file in the 'jars' folder and also a tptwizard.properties file in the 'config folder?

Do I need to make changes here as well?

Thanks  

Teradata Employee

You definitely don't need to change .jar file. You might need to change the config\tptwizard.properties file (or make a copy and edit your .cmd file to use the modified copy instead) if you don't have Modify access to the ...\Teradata Parallel Transporter\Logs or ...\Teradata Parallel Transporter\tptwizard\objectrepository folders. But that wouldn't prevent you from launching the wizard initially (though you would be unable to save / launch any job you created).

Is the type of your modfied file still "Windows Command Script"? Is that modified file the one you are launching to try to bring up the wizard?

Enthusiast

Yes, it's definitely a .cmd file & just to check its own performance, I double clicked on it & got the same error?

Tera_Error.PNG