Teradata Express 14.0 for VMware now available

Database
The Teradata Database channel includes discussions around advanced Teradata features such as high-performance parallel database technology, the optimizer, mixed workload management solutions, and other related technologies.
Enthusiast

Re: Teradata Express 14.0 for VMware now available

I have installed the 40GB image of TD Express 14.0 for VMware , using VMware Player 5.0.0 build-812388. It has 2.5GB memory, as recommended. The database is running, but many operations are painfully slow. For instance, from the time I enter "bteq" at the command line to the time bteq comes back with "Teradata BTEQ for Linux...Enter your logon or BTEQ command" is 20 seconds! TD Studio Express takes 1 min 35 sec to start and is very slow thereafter as well. Surely this can't be normal?...

I tried the 40gb version on a laptop with 4gb of memory and had the same issue. There was a lot of memory paging going on. I switched to the 4gb version and everything works ok. It requires 2gb of memory vs 2.5 for the 40gb version, if I remember right it's due to the Viewpoint requirements in the image.

The 40gb version works ok on another laptop I have with 8gb of memory.
Highlighted
Enthusiast

I think you're right, Bruce. The 4GB version seems fine. (My laptop has 6GB of RAM.)
Teradata Employee

If you are not using Viewpoint, try turning it off from the desktop icon in the VM. The Viewpoint services take a lot of resources.
Not applicable

I'm running the 40gb version on a 16gb laptop with a SSD drive. It's extremely slow like others reported. Strangely, there's very little CPU and disk activity, so I don't see any bottlenecks.
Teradata Employee

Don't know if this will work or not. Try increasing the virtual RAM to 4 GB in the Virtual Machine Settings for VMware Player. Let us know if that helps.
Teradata Employee

Also, since you have enough physical resources in the laptop, you could try the 1 TB version. It has bigger RAM.

I am running 4 GB linux version on windows 7. Now I want to connect Sql assistant which is installed on windows 7 to teradata. Can anyone help me on that?
Enthusiast

I installed TD Express 14 for VM Player. But there are no databases. Not even DBC visible in Studio. All that I have on the desktiop is Teradata Tools, Start/Stop Viewpoint, Teradata Studio.

Thanks.

Venky

Not applicable

I had the same issue with 1TB.

I tried to modify the Network Card and add the hostname and domain name, it seems to resolve the issue. Give it a try.

Cheers!