Unable to Create Tables with SQL Assistant

Database
Enthusiast

Unable to Create Tables with SQL Assistant

Hi Forum,

I've recently installed Teradata SQL Assistant on my Laptop which is a 64 Bit Windows 7 o/s.

I'm trying to create some data to use so I need all the privileges available.

Being the creator, I thought I would automatically be the DBA for the database?

I'm opening the application as the Administrator but don't have the permission to create tables.

Can anyone suggest what I need to do?

Thanks 

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Teradata Employee

Re: Unable to Create Tables with SQL Assistant

Need to use "inet addr" for eth0, which is 192.168.115.128 in your example (not Bcast).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
7 REPLIES
Senior Apprentice

Hi,

From your terminology I'm guessing that perhaps you've worked with other dbms platforms. This is one area (of a number) where Teradata works differently from most other dbms platforms.

When you login to a TD system you are logging into the 'system' - not 'a database'.

The 'system' will have many databases on it, so the following two SQL requests may produce different results because they are reading from different databases which may contain completely different sets of data.

SELECT *
FROM db1.customer;

SELECT *
FROM db2.customer;

Your user definition will have a 'default database' so when you run a SQL request if your code does not name a database the dbms will use your default database.

Assume that your 'default database' is 'db1', the following two requests are identical:

SELECT *
FROM db1.customer;

SELECT *
FROM customer;

This 'default database' concept is used on all SQL requests for any named object where you do not provide a database name:

CREATE TABLE abc
(...);

If the above command works, table 'abc' will be put into your 'default database'.

You can change your current 'default database' (i.e. the one used by the dbms for commands) by using the 'DATABASE' command. See here for details.

In your case (based on previous posts) you are logging on as user DBC. In that case your default database is almost certainly DBC and because that is the Teradata system database you cannot create tables in it. You need to create your own database and put your tables, views etc. into that.

Try the following (see Create Database for full details):

Create database myDB as PERM=200e6, SPOOL=0;

This will give you a database with a max space limit of 200MB for data.

Make this your default database by using the DATABASE command.

Now run your 'create table' SQL.

Because you created the database (myDB) by default you will have full access rights to it.

HTH

Dave

Ward Analytics Ltd - information in motion
www: http://www.ward-analytics.com
Teradata Employee

Teradata SQL Assistant and Teradata Studio [Express] are just client tools that can connect to a Teradata system. They do not include the Teradata database itself. Teradata Express for VMWare Player  provides a "local" Teradata database.

Enthusiast

Thanks Dave,

Apologies for then long delay i responding, I've almost got the connection happening but I'm stuck with the connection between VM Ware & SQL Assistant.

Follwing your instructions Dave, I've downloaded VW Ware Player 15, navigated to the vxmf file, and have the following pic.VMplayer_1.gif

VMplayer_1_warning.gif

I then go to select 'Run VM Player' and get the above pop up warning (Just FYI)

I can then login using 'root' as the user & pwd as advised. all good so far

VMplayer_1_gnome_terminal.gif

So now I have a desktop with the 'gnome terminal' on it

VMplayer_1_ifconfig.gif

I then open the gnome terminal type in 'ifconfig' & get the Bcast address as per above.

I'm using 192.168.115.255 as the IP address.

OK, so now I've downloaded & installed SQL Assistant & have gone to connect to VM Ware using the IP address.

ping_error.gif

First up, I go to ping the IP by adding ping 192.168.115.255 at the cmd prompt on my laptop, this gives the above error?

My attempts to connect in SQLA also fail. so I need to find out what I'm doing wrong to ping the IP address OR am I not pinging correctly?

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks Peter

Enthusiast

Thanks Fred,

Still a newbie at folowing the architecture...

Highlighted
Teradata Employee

Need to use "inet addr" for eth0, which is 192.168.115.128 in your example (not Bcast).

Enthusiast

Thanks Fred,

That's got it!

Much appreciated.

Just for my understanding, is the VMWare like another computer (but sits as a software program on my laptop)?

And then SQLA connects to that computer using the IP?

Thanks Peter 

Teradata Employee

That's correct. Teradata Express is a "virtual" computer image, implemented in software, running on your laptop.