ASTER on Mac

Download Aster
Highlighted
Teradata Employee

ASTER on Mac

Hi,

I have a MacBook Running on OS-X El-Capitan. I would like to use ASTER on my Macbook but did not get any material on how do I go about it. Please advise..

Regards,

Srini

Accepted Solutions
Teradata Employee

Re: ASTER on Mac

Amy,

I was able to crank up Aster on Mac, and this is how..

The steps are similar to windows but with minor changes

1. Download VMware Fusion (unfortunately there is no free version.. you can only download trial version for 30 days)

2. To unzip Aster Express download and use "The Unarchiver" from Appstore

3. Download Aster Express zip file

4. Once VMware, and Aster Express are downloaded and unzipped respectively, change Fusion network adapter configurations. You can have one adapter use NAT and another "Bridged" configuration

5. You need to change NAT configuration. In order to do that you need to run the following command on command prompt "sudo nano /Library/Preferences/VMware\ Fusion/networking"

See the following link for more info on how to change NAT configuration

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=10265...

6. The IP address in Vmnet8 (NAT) should be set to 192.168.100.1

7. Save the configuration and then fire up the VM

8. Import Queen and Worker images onto VM and then start them in order (Queen followed by Worker)

9. You can then use AMC to activate nodes

Rest is same as Windows

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
9 REPLIES
Enthusiast

Aster Express is only supported on Windows.

I heard some people tried with VMware fusion, but we don't have official documentation.

Teradata Employee

Amy,

I was able to crank up Aster on Mac, and this is how..

The steps are similar to windows but with minor changes

1. Download VMware Fusion (unfortunately there is no free version.. you can only download trial version for 30 days)

2. To unzip Aster Express download and use "The Unarchiver" from Appstore

3. Download Aster Express zip file

4. Once VMware, and Aster Express are downloaded and unzipped respectively, change Fusion network adapter configurations. You can have one adapter use NAT and another "Bridged" configuration

5. You need to change NAT configuration. In order to do that you need to run the following command on command prompt "sudo nano /Library/Preferences/VMware\ Fusion/networking"

See the following link for more info on how to change NAT configuration

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=10265...

6. The IP address in Vmnet8 (NAT) should be set to 192.168.100.1

7. Save the configuration and then fire up the VM

8. Import Queen and Worker images onto VM and then start them in order (Queen followed by Worker)

9. You can then use AMC to activate nodes

Rest is same as Windows

Teradata Employee

Hi

I found a blog that explain how to install Aster Express on Mac

http://pavanchalla.blogspot.com/2015/08/aster-express-installation-on.html ​ Let's try this out, but I still get stuck with some error on the virtualBox.

Teradata Employee

Hi Wipada,

I was able to get Aster Express up and running.. See the post above

Regards

Srini

Teradata Employee

One additional point to my previous post:

You do not need putty on MaC. Use Mac command prompt (terminal) to log on to ASTER. For example: if you want to log on to Aster queen (Port 22 on 192.168.100.100) in SSH mode then type the following on Mac Terminal

ssh -p 22 aster@192.168.100.100

You will be prompted for password. Once you login successfully, you can use all commands that you typically use on a PuTTy

Teradata Employee

I just discovered that I had to log out of VPN in order to make the VM work...

Enthusiast

Thanks for sharing this Srinivas!

Not applicable

Sir - Please help. I tried your suggestion yet I still can't ping the VM's IP. I don't know where to edit it either on Netmask or subnet. 

Enthusiast

Hi Geoffrey, 

There is another document that was recently posted:  Getting Aster to work on Mac | Teradata Aster Community Blog Post 

Let everyone know if this helps you.