SQL Assistant Java Edition 13.01 for Windows 32-bit

Downloads
Highlighted
Teradata Employee

SQL Assistant Java Edition 13.01 for Windows 32-bit

Teradata SQL Assistant Java Edition provides an information discovery tool that retrieves data from Teradata Database systems and allows the data to be manipulated and stored on the desktop. It is built on the Eclipse Rich Client Platform (RCP). For more information on SQLA JE, refer to the article SQL Assistant Java Edition.

SQLA JE contains several open source components. A package containing the source code and licenses for these components is also available for download. This package does not contain proprietary Teradata source code.

README

SQL Assistant Java Edition 13.01.00 release information.

Supported Platforms:
=============================
Windows Vista - Microsoft Windows Vista Enterprise, 32-bit and 64-bit
Windows XP Professional - Microsoft Windows XP Professional, 32-bit and 64-bit
Windows Server - Microsoft Windows Server 2003, 32-bit and 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008, 32-bit and 64-bit
Windows 2000 - Microsoft Windows 2000, 32-bit
Windows 7 - Microsoft Windows 7, 32-bit and 64-bit
Ret Hat Server - Red Hat Advanced Server 2.1, 3.0, and 4.0, 32-bit
- Red Hat Advanced Server 4.0, 64-bit
Red Hat Platform - Red Hat Advanced Platform 5.0, 32-bit and 64-bit
SUSE Linux Enterprise - SUSE Linux Enterprise 9, 32-bit and 64-bit
- SUSE Linux Enterprise 10, 32-bit and 64-bit
Apple Mac - OSX 10.5 and 10.6

Supported Teradata Databases Versions:
Teradata Database V2R6.0
Teradata Database V2R6.1
Teradata Database V2R6.2
Teradata Database 12.0
Teradata Database 13.0

Required Software:
Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version 1.5 or greater

Install Instructions;
Download the SQLA JE zip file from the download site.

For Windows install:
1) Unzip the Teradata SQLA JE package to your local file system.
2) Run the setup.exe to launch the Teradata SQLA JE installation.
3) Provide the path to where you would like to install Teradata SQLA JE.
The default location is
C:\Program Files\Teradata\Client\13.01\Teradata SQL Assistant Java Edition. When SQLA
JE is started, a 'workspace' directory is created in your home directory (C:\Documents
and Settings\(user)\workspace). This directory contains workspace files, including the SQL
project folder and .log file.

For Linux install:
1) Unzip and untar the Teradata SQLA JE package to your local file system.
gunzip teradatasqla__linux_i386.13.01.00.00-1.tar.gz
tar -xvf teradatasqla__linux_i386.13.01.00.00-1.tar
2) Change directories (CD) to the teradatasqla.13.01.00.00 directory
cd teradatasqla.13.01.00.00
3) Switch to Super User or Root and execute the RPM (Package Management) command to
install SQLA JE on Linux.
su
./sqlajeinstall teradatasqla-13.01.00.00-1.i386.rpm
4) Provide the path to where you would like to install Teradata SQLA JE. .
The default location is /opt/teradata. When SQLA JE is started, a 'workspace'
directory is created in the location where you launched SQLA JE (sqla) from.
This directory contains workspace files, including the SQL project folder
and .log file.

Note: To check whether Teradata SQLA JE is installed or not, run the following command:
rpm -qa teradatasqla
To remove the Teradata SQLA JE product from your Linux system, run the following
command:
rpm -e teradatasqla

For Mac OS Install:
1) Unzip the Teradata SQLA JE package to your local file system.
2) Double click on the Teradata SQL Assistant Java Edition.pkg package to invoke the SQLA JE installer
3) You can change the install location or use the default install location, which is the
/Applications/teradatasqla folder. When SQLA JE is started, a 'SQLA' folder is created in the
user's Documents folder. This folder contains the workspace files, including the SQL
project folder and .log file.

Running SQLA JE:
Windows:
Double click the Teradata SQL Assistant Java Edition desktop icon shortcut.

Linux:
Update your path variable to include the teradatasqla directory. Execute sqlaje.

Mac:
Execute SQL Assistant Java Edition in the teradatasqla directory.

10 REPLIES
Not applicable

Re: SQL Assistant Java Edition 13.01 for Windows 32-bit

thanks
Not applicable

I've had several issues trying to use this tool. Wondering if anyone else has run into similar.

Compared to SqlAssistant 12, program load times are 3-4X slower
Establishing the connection through the JDBC is also about 4X slower than the ODBC connection
Setting up the database schema to have a manageable list (filters) is not intuitive, and once eventually set up, the program completely lost all connect profiles and filters once I exited and reconnected. It also lost my sql history.
There is no obvious way to export a results set
The Max Rows setting no longer provides a dialog box to override the value and retrieve the full dataset, so you must run large queries twice, once to find the rows returned, and a second time after adjusting this value.

Teradata Employee

I will try to address some of your issues.
The connection profiles, filters, and SQL history is stored in metadata in your workspace directory. The workspace directory is created in C:\Documents
and Settings\(user)\workspace when SQLA JE is first brought up. If this directory is deleted, then the connection profiles and SQL history are gone. We have also seen a problem if you install SQLA JE and Eclipse and try to use the same workspace for both.

To export a result set you simply run your SQL statement and in the SQL Results View, right click on the data and choose the Export option. It will ask whether to Export All or Current and then a pop up a dialog appears to select the file name and format. Press Finish to export your result set data.

The Max Rows setting is handled by a preference via the Window>Preferences, then go to the Data Management>SQL Development preference page. You only need to run the query once using the max row value you enter. We are working on enhancements in this area for the next release which we hope will address your concerns.

There is additional help information by selecting the Help>Help Contents from the top toolbar and then the Teradata SQL Assistant Java Edition book.
Not applicable

I were used to develope java code by Eclipse IDE and I where enthusiastic of trying this tool
as replacement of classic windows SQL Assistant.
The feature I appreciated most is (would be) the content assistant word completion
from a list while typing queries.
I found especially useful the db.table.column completion (ctrl-space) starting from first few characters ...
Unfortunally due to massive use of aliases for tables in complex queries, I can't get any help by typing the alias name in replacement of original table name :-(
This make me to return to the classic teradata tool . Could be a suggestion for an enhancement in next releases ?
Teradata Employee

One of the problems with aliases in the code-completion feature is that the statement is run through the parser up to the insertion point. If the alias were specified following the insertion point, there is no way of knowing what has been entered. Besides, the parser used by the SQL Editor doesn't maintain information about what objects have been referenced in the statement.

There is another SQL editing feature available that is form-driven where you specify the tables that are part of the select, update, insert or delete statement. In the SQL Editor, there is a context menu item "Edit in SQL Query Builder...". If you select a statement and select that menu item, the statement will be shown in a dialog box that lets you select tables to include in the statement and give them aliases. Since the dialog box has knowledge of what tables are being referenced and aliases that have been defined, it lets you reference by these aliases.

The SQL that this dialog box deals with is generic SQL and doesn't support all of Teradata's dialect.

You can also just choose that menu item without selecting any SQL from the editor if you want to build a new statement from scratch. If it is started with selected SQL where the statement includes elements that aren't known by the generic SQL parser, the dialog box will be shown in the editing from scratch mode.

I am using Teradata SQL Assistant, Version: 13.01.0.201005121457 (for Java). Why can I not use the ANSI SQL syntax? For example, I must use INDEX instead of POSITION and SUBSTRING instead of SUBSTR.

I am using Teradata SQL Assistant, Version: 13.01.0.201005121457 (for Java).

When I right-click a SQL Editor tab and select "New editor", a new tab is opened with the exact SQL that is in the original tab included. If I delete the text in either tab, it is deleted in the other. Likewise, whatever I enter into one tab is duplicated in the other. Why? I just wanted to open a second editor window; appears I can not do that using the right-click method, so what is it there for? Why would I want to edit the same thing in two "linked" tab windows?
Teradata Employee

The intent of the "New Editor" is to clone the current editor, with the same input as the current editor. Often this is used for editing a large SQL file where you want to view the file at different locations, copying lines from one location to another.

If you want to simply open a new editor file, one way to do this is to go to the Data Source Explorer and select the database connection, then click the 'open scrapbook' button on the Data Source Explorer toolbar. Another way to open a new editor file is to switch to the Project Explorer and select the SQL project. Right click and choose the New>SQL File option.

In Properties setting, I can not change dbs_port to a 5bit port number,such as change 1025 to 52010