IDLE SESSION TIMEOUT PARAMETER IN TERADATA

General
Not applicable

IDLE SESSION TIMEOUT PARAMETER IN TERADATA

Hi folks,

Do we have idle session timeout parameter in teradata
suppose if i have logged a session and locked my system and relogin
what is the default timing of sessiom timeout?

Please let me know how to set session timeout parameter in teradata
which table has this info?

Thanks in advance
4 REPLIES 4
Teradata Employee

Re: IDLE SESSION TIMEOUT PARAMETER IN TERADATA

Within Teradata Viewpoint, under the Admin - Monitored Systems - Alerts - Session area, one can set an idle session alert for Teradata DB systems. Like other alerts, one can attach alert actions to the set alert.  For more information, check the Viewpoint User Guide and specifically the Administration Portlets - Monitored Systems - Alerts. 

Tourist

Hi Gary,

This is referencing an alert in VP but I am wondering if Teradata database has a setting that will abort idle sessions after a specified amount of time?  I'm thinking not but need to know for troubleshooting an application issue.

Thanks,

Chris

Enthusiast

If viewpoint application not on project, writing up a script to abort idle sessions on crontab hourly would help,
Querying syslib.monitorsession function, find idle sessions by computing for PEstate and AMPstate fields, case idle time value and feed the session number to syslib.abortsession function to abort the session.

Best Regards,

Sandeep.

GANGA SANDEEP KUMAR

Teradata Employee

The database itself does not "time out" idle sessions. Many other things may, e.g. client applications, network load balancers, "monitoring" applications (including Viewpoint; note that the "alert action" can be to abort the session.)

Also, MonitorSession will let you determine if the session is currently Idle, but won't tell you how long it has been in that state. You have to keep track of at least the Host ID, Session Number, and Request Count for each idle session along with a timestamp. If on a subsequent observation the session is no longer idle you can remove it from your list; if it's newly idle, or idle again but the Request Count has incremented, save the current timestamp as your "idle since" value for that session.