Issue with Installation

Linux Operating System
Enthusiast

Issue with Installation

I have downloaded the archive for TD Express 16.20 for use with VMWare Player 15

The underlying OS is openSUSE 11 and I have run across several  issues in trying to get a usable operating system to work.

1. I tried to get the time to synchronize with an NTS server but there was no NTS client installed. Shouldn't these be a standard package? I was never able to install it because I did not have the right repository and could not figure out how to get it.
  2. Many, if not most, HTTPS sites fail on connection because the right certificates are not installed. This includes openSUSE sites as well.
  3. Occasionally the OS crashes and corrupts the file system. When I restart, it takes forever to manually FSCK it

Now, I must event, I have been using Ubuntu as my primary distro but had some experience with suSE at work several years ago. We had some pretty good sysadmins so I never had these problems. I think the base OS for Teradata should be shipped in a usable state.

15 REPLIES 15
Teradata Employee

Re: Issue with Installation

Hi.

It seems you are a bit confused.

The underlying OS is NOT openSuSE, it's SuSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES).

The ntp (not nts) client is working ok in my TD VM 16.20:

carlos@TD1620SLES11:~> sudo /etc/init.d/ntp status
root's password:
Checking for network time protocol daemon (NTPD): running
carlos@TD1620SLES11:~>

SLES 11 is a commercial OS and you can access the repos only if you are a registered SuSE customer.

openSuSE is not the same as SLES. If you are accessing the openSuSE repos to install / update sofware you might be breaking things...

The TD VM 16.20 is intended to serve as learning/lab/sandbox for Teradata Database, so there are things that are not taken care of (certificates...). Nevertheless the system is operative and stable for its purposes.

If you are tinkering with the OS you must be sure of what you are doing.

Cheers.

Carlos.

Enthusiast

Thank you for the clarification.
I think it would be useful to have the right certs installed so that we could use Firefox.
Enthusiast

I can't say I'm "tinkering" with the OS. Just trying to get the correct time synchronized.  When I specify that I want the time synchronized with NTP, it tells me I must install yast2-NTP-client, which I cannot do.

/etc/init.d/ntp does show me it is running, but, of course I was confused.

Because Firefox is useless on this platform, I must go back to my Windows host to look at the tutorials or troubleshoot.

Teradata Employee

Hi again.

Which are the sites you cannot reach because of the certificates issues? (My VM's firefox is working ok with https)

Anyway, you can manage certificates within firefox in the VM.

Cheers.

Carlos.

Enthusiast

I'll get back to this tomorrow. There were several.

I'm in Cambodia so there is a big time difference.
Enthusiast

For one, this site https://community.teradata.com/

An error occurred during a connection to community.teradata.com.

Cannot communicate securely with peer: no common encryption algorithm(s).

(Error code: ssl_error_no_cypher_overlap)

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified
Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem. Alternatively, use the command found in the help menu to report this broken site.

In order to report this problem, I have to switch back to Windows.

Teradata Employee

Hi.

I think your problem is not about certificates, it's about protocols.

The sites are moving from ssl to tls and your firefox browser cannot handle the modern tls protocols. You can reach sites that still use ssl, but you'll not be able to reach sites that use modern tls protocols only. 

Newer firefox versions can use newer tsl protocols. Sadly, the SLES is a server OS and the security must be paramount: the software must be installed from SuSE repos only.

HTH.

Cheers.

Carlos.

Enthusiast

Well, this isn't really a solution. Why not put it on openSUSE and make it easier to use? It is nearly useless as is

@CarlosAlvarez wrote:

Hi.

I think your problem is not about certificates, it's about protocols.

The sites are moving from ssl to tls and your firefox browser cannot handle the modern tls protocols. You can reach sites that still use ssl, but you'll not be able to reach sites that use modern tls protocols only. 

Newer firefox versions can use newer tsl protocols. Sadly, the SLES is a server OS and the security must be paramount: the software must be installed from SuSE repos only.

HTH.

Cheers.

Carlos.

Ambassador

Teradata's OS is SLES, not Open Suse or Redhat or whatever.

Most people use the VM as server only, i.e. access it from a local or remote client (Windows/MacOS/Linux).

In fact I hardly login to the GUI, sometimes starting Sysem Monitor to have a quick look at resource usage.

And there's usually a newer Teradata Studio version tha the one in the VM...