"/etc/init.d/tpa" tea is not available after installing TeradataToolsAndUtilitiesBase

Linux Operating System
Fan

"/etc/init.d/tpa" tea is not available after installing TeradataToolsAndUtilitiesBase

Hello everyone,

i am new fan of teradata and wated to run it as docker container.

I partialy made it like describe in the official document: 

Teradata®
Tools and Utilities for Linux Installation Guide Amazon Linux 2, CentOS, OEL, RedHat, SLES, Ubuntu

Release 16.20 October 2018

Using TeradataToolsAndUtilitiesBase__ubuntu_indep.16.20.10.00.tar

After the insatllation i tried to logon in bteq. That failed with this message:

root@user:/# bteq

Teradata BTEQ 16.20.00.06 (32-bit) for LINUX. PID: 293
 Copyright 1984-2018 Teradata. All rights reserved.
 Enter your logon or BTEQ command:
.logon myid/dbc

.logon myid/dbc
Password: 

*** Warning: RDBMS CRASHED OR SESSIONS RESET.  RECOVERY IN PROGRESS.

I tried to start the RDBMS with /etc/init.d/tpa start and recognized that "tpa" is not available. 

I d´ont know how to get tpa available in init.d directory.

Can someone help me please.

4 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: "/etc/init.d/tpa" tea is not available after installing TeradataToolsAndUtilitiesBase

Hi.

TTU's are utilities. If you installed the TTU's on a plain vanilla linux system (or docker or whatever) you need to connect to a Teradata System (a VMware Teradata virtual machine, for example).

TTU's don't install the Teradata Database on your system.

Cheers.

Carlos.

Fan

Re: "/etc/init.d/tpa" tea is not available after installing TeradataToolsAndUtilitiesBase

Hi Carlos,

thanks for your reply. I thought TTU´s contains all the needed stuff to run Teradata Database.

Here is what i want to do:  installation of Teradata database on a linux system (docker image).

Is it possible?

If yes how can i achieve it?

Or the only way to achieve what i want to do is the way with a VMware virtual machine?

Thanks in advance.

Dibu

Teradata Employee

Hi.

I don't think you can install TD database on docker. The TD database is tightly coupled with the OS layer (PDE). Your best bet is to install a VMware virtual machine, which you can download and use for free, and then connect from your docker TTU's to it. 

HTH.

Cheers.

Carlos.

Highlighted
Teradata Employee

>>> I thought TTU´s contains all the needed stuff to run Teradata Database.

No, TTU does not include the Teradata Database.