Which Teradata VME

Teradata Database on VMWare
Highlighted
Enthusiast

Which Teradata VME

Last time I did this it didn't go so well. Hoping it will go better this tme.

Is there a bundle of TD 16.10 and TD SQL Assistant in VM ware? If so can you provide a like.

Are there instructions on the setup, particulary establishing a database connection after installation. Last time I failed to get SQLAssistant working with the TD database.

Are there a smaller versions of the database. I'm not after a TD16.10 version that is 40gb+. Just want large enough to test my coding in.

Accepted Solutions

Re: Which Teradata VME

None of the newer TD-VM's will come with SQL-Assistant, as SQL-A is no longer supported.

Instead, most VM's will have Studio included.

My understanding is that the VM's are listed as 40GB, but do not take that much space initially. The 40GB is the upper limit.

I currently have a 40GB TD15.10 installed, with total space use of 22GB.

To connect to the VM database, you need the IP address from the VM.

In the VM, open a (Gnome) Terminal window and enter "ifconfig".

The response should give the eth0 details, including the "inet addr" (192.168.1.34 on my 15.10).

Use this IP to create the connection from your SQL-A or Studio.

Teradata Master Frank
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
4 REPLIES

None of the newer TD-VM's will come with SQL-Assistant, as SQL-A is no longer supported.

Instead, most VM's will have Studio included.

My understanding is that the VM's are listed as 40GB, but do not take that much space initially. The 40GB is the upper limit.

I currently have a 40GB TD15.10 installed, with total space use of 22GB.

To connect to the VM database, you need the IP address from the VM.

In the VM, open a (Gnome) Terminal window and enter "ifconfig".

The response should give the eth0 details, including the "inet addr" (192.168.1.34 on my 15.10).

Use this IP to create the connection from your SQL-A or Studio.

Teradata Master Frank
Senior Apprentice

As well as Frank's comments, remember that the VM is running Linux as an os and therefore will never come with SQLA embedded - that only runs on Windows.

If you want SQLA then you'll have to download and install the Windows TTU (client) software.

HTH

Dave

Ward Analytics Ltd - information in motion
www: http://www.ward-analytics.com
Enthusiast

Thanks for the information. We have a windows based front end at work so we use SQL Assist. Its a pity its no longer supported. Its also a pity Teradata can't build a lighter version of its standard databse. Perhaps they could think about setting up a website front end on a database for developers to code test?

Senior Apprentice

If your client platform (front-end) is Windows then you can use TD Studio. It is the replacement for SQLA.

Cheers,

Dave

Ward Analytics Ltd - information in motion
www: http://www.ward-analytics.com