How do I access a VMWare hosted Teradata Express from a local TD Mapping Manager

Teradata Express Software
Formerly this board name was Cloud Computing. The name was changed to better represent the product areas covered.
Enthusiast

Re: How do I access a VMWare hosted Teradata Express from a local TD Mapping Manager

Hi ,

I wanted to install free version for Teradata 14 onto ome of the VM provided to me. Can somebody tell me if i need to install the SUSE linus free iso image and then the Teradata 14 database? If yes, can somebody give me the link where i can install the TD 14 database software. While searching, i came across varios files of Teradata express for VM WARE , assuming that it can directly get installed on a new physical machine ( which i can use as a test lab). I already downloaded the below :

TDExpress14.10_Sles10_1TB_VP_30cache (4.3 GB)

openSUSE-13.1-DVD-x86_64 (4.4 gb)

getting some what confused now. Please help

Enthusiast

Re: How do I access a VMWare hosted Teradata Express from a local TD Mapping Manager

Amit,

All you should need is VMWare, no install of linux is required.  Download and install a VMWare client, either server or player.  Unzip the TDExpress package and open up the virtual machine.

The TD Express package ia a linux based virtual machine, login with root/roor, double click on Teradata tools, double click on Start Teradata...you can check on the TD status by opening the gnome terminal and using pdestate -a  from the terminal command line.

while your terminal is open, use ifconfig eth0 to determine the  ip address of your new td install for connections from the operating system. 

cheers!

Enthusiast

Thanks ,

Although i am not good at Unix- Linux, but would try to take some body's help . I have been given two machines for which one i was trying to make as Teradata database server and the other to install ViewPoint. But i guess View Point also comes withing the package and i do not need any OS on either of the servers.

Do we have some screen shots step by step to follow. I saw it somewhere yesterday , but will still search.

Does this pkg works on WINDOWS also or a pkg inbuilt with Windows OS?

Enthusiast

Also, if its installs with Linux , still i will be able to connect my toosl(sql assistant  etc) as GUI? right?

Enthusiast

Yes. By installing TTU 14.x. The new TTU tools such as TD Administrator, sql assistant on your windows 7 host machine, you can access the teradata server running on Linux (through vm player)

Need to create the DSN with the iP of the linux server

--Sri

Highlighted
Enthusiast

Vande,

Do we similar setup with Windows inbuilt , so i can run it on my second VM machine? Not sure if needs VM player there also...

Enthusiast

Hi Team,

I downlaoded and copied the Teradata 14 SLES 10 VP 40 GB Version, but while selecting it gives me an error message : Your CPU does not support long mode, Use a 32 bit distribution. VM guys mention that the CPU is 64 bit, but not sure why its still giving, any clue?
Enthusiast

Guys, 

If anybody is able to work out the TD 14 VM ware express installation, kindly let me know the machine configuration, as i am having hard time to get it installed .

Have checked TeraData Express sles10 VM compatibility and system requirements. I tried to run it on one of the hosts in our Lab. As per all the troubleshooting changed BIOS settings to enable VT option but I found that it is architecture of the processor differs i.e. VT-d and VT-x. Teradata VM errors shows VT-x error that means VT-x represents Intel's technology for virtualization on the x86 platform and all our lab servers are x64 platform.

Our Lab servers are having 64 bit  CPU and TeraData requirement is 64bit CPU which supports 32bit VT-x architecture as well. So in order to run TeraData package VM we need to have hardware (64bit CPU which supports 32bit architecture as well) 

From our lab end I did everything whatever required changes in the OS/Server level. I am not sure about the application side how they created VMs and settings. So as a remedy I need to have same set of hardware (i.e. CPU version, Model and hardware configuration) where this package is already running fine. 

Hi Amit,

Could you please provide the link to download the VMWare Image of SUSE Linux, which have the Teradata Database installed. 

Kind regards

Lokesh

Enthusiast

You can use below link Lokesh - 
http://downloads.teradata.com/download/database/teradata-express/vmware