Format of DECIMAL answerset columns in TD Studio (16.20)

Teradata Studio
Enthusiast

Format of DECIMAL answerset columns in TD Studio (16.20)

Hello, is it possible in TD Studio to format the answerset according to the followings topics:

- right-aligned  output of DECIMAL columns instead of left-aligned

- comma as decimal separator: I expected that the regional setting of Windows configures the decimal output, but it seems that is not working that way. On my Windows Workstation, DECIMAL columns are formated with '.' as decimal separator. If I check the option "Display 1000 Separator in Numeric Colums" then the decimal separator changes to comma and '.' is used as 1000-separator, but that is not what I want.

Beyond that , compared to SQLA, I am missing the comfortable sorting and filtering options in the answerset.

Has anybody some suggestions to make things easier for in TD Studio ? Perhaps I just didn't find the appropriate place to change a setting?  Are there suggestions to improve the issues above in further versions of Studio?

Thanks in advance for your help and comments

9 REPLIES 9
Enthusiast

Re: Format of DECIMAL answerset columns in TD Studio (16.20)

I'm wondering why nobody has comments on that issue. So everybody is satisfied with the resultset of Teradata Studio ?  Or didn't I express the things clearly ?

Teradata Employee

Hi,

You can right click on a column and can do the filetring.

Decimal separators are picked up from the rgional settig. I think you need to restrat the application once you change in regional settings to reflect in Studio application.

You can open new requets in Studio Aha! ideas Portal. AHA ideas portal

Enthusiast

Hi Ravi,

thanks much for your comments.

Filtering: I saw the filtering with right click on a column. Here it is possible to set a filter on a certain value with options "start with", "end with" etc. but I don't see the possibility to check and uncheck on one or multiple columns values as comfortable as it is in SQLA, so perhaps I will post that in the ideas portal.

Regional Setting/decimal separator: the application has been started several times after having changed regional windows setting. Only if I use 1000 separators, a comma is display as decimal separator. And the left alignment of decimal columns is not appropriate from my point of view, so that could also be an issue for ideas portal.

Sorting: in the meantime I have recognized that it is possible to sort according to multiple columns by ALT-Left-Clicking on the second, third, .. column. That's OK by now...

Thank you very much

Teradata Employee

Regardling localization: Formatting depends on JVM locale settings which in turn are derived from OS system locale settings (which might not be the same as Windows display language).

Look at Help / About Teradata Studio / Installation Details / Configuration and double-check the user.country, user.language, and user.variant values in effect. (It's easiest to copy to clipboard and paste into an editor to search.) If these values are not correct, you can add -D parameters to the end of the TeradataStudio.ini file to override.

Enthusiast

thanks for your help.

the setting is as follows:

-----------------------------------------

user.country=DE
user.language=de
user.variant=

-----------------------------------------

user.country and user.language seem to be appropriate. user.variant is NULL (empty). What would be an appropriate setting for that ?

Teradata Employee

The user.variant will normally be empty unless the application has its own customized variant for the locale. For standard German locale, I would have expected the separator between whole and fractional parts to always be a comma (and thousands separator to be a period) because that's what the standard formatting classes return. For language=en (and compatible country such as US or UK) the fractional separator is period and thousands separator is comma.

Enthusiast

... so the locale setting of user.country and user.language are OK as german locale (and the windows settings are also 'German'), but the decimal separator is not a comma as expected. Thus I will open an incident on TD@YS, or are there other ideas or suggestions ?

Highlighted
Teradata Employee

There is some issue But as a workaround Could you please try by checking the Display 1000 Separator in Numeric Coulms check box   Preference in Result Set Viewer->Data Format like below and try.

PreferenceSetting.PNG

Enthusiast

If I check the option "Display 1000 Separator in Numeric Colums" then the decimal separator changes to comma and '.' is used as 1000-separator. Thus that would work as workaround from the technical point of view, but as I do not want 1000-separators , it is not feasible for me. In particular when displaying a numeric column like an item ID, I want to have it displayed without 1000-separators and without decimal separators.