Tdata Studio Express, JRE 10.0.1, an error has occured

Teradata Studio

Tdata Studio Express, JRE 10.0.1, an error has occured

Just downloaded Teradata Studio Express v16.20 and installed it.  My Java version is 10.0.1 or 10.0.2.  Windows 10

I am getting an error when I launch Studio Express "On error has occurred" look in log file.

The log file has 2k lines in it and I don't know the first thing about Java other than about 50% of Java stuff just doesn't work.

I look in the forum and I see references to JRE 8 not working but, I am JRE 10.

I've looked on Google and get an echo of most of the stiff in this forum.

Any pointers as to where to look are greatly appreciated.

John Schuster

Accepted Solutions
Teradata Employee

Re: Tdata Studio Express, JRE 10.0.1, an error has occured

The current version of Studio [Express] requires JRE 8 (or JDK 8 on Mac OS X). It is not supported with Java 10.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
5 REPLIES

By the way I've been using Teradata on and off for the last 25 years.  I just climbing back onto the horse again.

John Schuster
Teradata Employee

The current version of Studio [Express] requires JRE 8 (or JDK 8 on Mac OS X). It is not supported with Java 10.

That was kinda what I was thinking.

Other than Teradata Studio Express what could I use to perform admin work on a TD15 edition?

I guess I could just use SQL commands but, I was hoping for something a little easier.

John Schuster
Teradata Employee

Depends on what you mean by "admin work". Up to TTU16.20 (but not after), the Windows TTU bundle still includes SQL Assistant.

If you mean more of a graphical interface for working with Users, Roles, Profiles, and Permissions:

For TD15.10 or earlier, you can download the TTU15.10 bundle and install Teradata Administrator (32-bit Windows application).

But Teradata Administrator isn't supported for TD16+ database.

BTW - note that the Administration "perspective" (replacement for TD Administrator but using a very different interface metaphor) is only available in the full version of Teradata Studio, and not in Studio Express.

Thanks for the update, I've been away for a while.  I remember the TD Administrator but its interface was a little dated.

I was surprised to see that SQL Assistant was still around and pretty much the same as it was back in the day.

Thanks again

John Schuster