Tdata Studio Express, JRE 10.0.1, an error has occured

Teradata Studio
Enthusiast

Tdata Studio Express, JRE 10.0.1, an error has occured

I've been watching the development of Terdata Studio for several years now, and have been very impressed in all the progress that's been made.  I recently downloaded the latest release, 16.20.09, and was a little surprised to find that it required JRE 10.

This was a little surprising to me since Java 10 is not a long-term support release and Oracle says it has reached the end of its support.  And it was a little sad since JRE 10 is not a LTS version, my company does not have immediate plans to enable it on our machines. 

I don't know if the new release requires new features in Java 10.  If not, I'd ask to stay with 8.  I believe that Java 12 is the next LTS version, but it's not yet released.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Teradata Employee

Re: Tdata Studio Express, JRE 10.0.1, an error has occured

Hello!

I've just heard there will a version of Teradata Stuido that is compatible with Java 8; I'm told it should be released in the next few weeks. 

Happy New Year's!

Michelle

Enthusiast

There is now a new version of this update that doesn't require JRE 10.  Unfortunately, it is named the same as the previous release.  (both the old and new version are TeradataStudio__win64_x86.16.20.09.zip).    But the new version is showing a release date of February 1, 2019.

Many thanks to the Teradata developers.

Teradata Employee

Because we are extended to support different java versions according to the customer's request.

File name is not changed but users can download the same version of Studio  based on the JAVA version that has at their environment.

for example "TeradataStudio__win64_x86.16.20.09.zip" file will be available  at both the hierarchies

• Teradata Studio 16.20.09.00-Java8 for Windows x86 64-bit  (For who is using Java 8)
  • Teradata Studio 16.20.09.00 for Windows x86 64-bit (For who is on Java 10)

Clearly given the details / instructions on download page, documentation ,read me and wherever possible.

**This ambiguity will be resolved as we are going to support Open JDK with next version of Studio.