Teradata Studio 15.10.01.01 on Mac OS X -- Hangs

Teradata Studio
Teradata Employee

Re: Teradata Studio 15.10.01.01 on Mac OS X -- Hangs

Angela, we have seen an issue with "hanging on startup" that is related to the JRE. The issue was when running with JRE 1.6 and once upgrading to 1.8 resolved the problem. But you mention that you are running JRE 1.8. Can you confirm, run the java -version command in a Terminal Window?

Not applicable

I also experienced this issue today and believe a large Java cache was to blame. It would still cause spinning every time I clicked for about 5 seconds. In addition to the spinning wheel, I had intermittent eclipse errors that it was unable to load certain windows over the past week. Sometimes the eclipse errors caused me to lose queries I was working on in any un-saved SQL editor tabs. 

I re-installed the application without any improvement. I also cleared the Teradata SQL History, which had 1200 previous queries. I'm on OSX El Capitan 10.11.3. My Java Control Panel showed I had the recommended version installed. I discovered that my Temporary Internet Files settings for Java were set to allow 32GB of temp files. I reduced the limit to about 5GB and used "Delete files..." for Trace and Log Files and Cached Applications and Applets. 

Now for me the application is running faster than it ever has before.

Teradata Employee

Miko. Thank you for the information! It will give us a path to investigate further.

Enthusiast

The java version I have at the prompt is:

java version "1.6.0_65"

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_65-b14-468-11M4833)

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.65-b04-468, mixed mode)

The version I have in system preferences when I go to the java control panel says:

Platform: 1.8

Product: 1.8.0_73

Path: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/java

The version I downloaded yesterday from Oracle is: 

jre-8u73-macosx-x64.dmg

It says the same whether I choose user or system. How can I fix the terminal so that I can start TD studio?

Enthusiast

As a follow up, it was the JDK. I installed the 1.8_73 JDK, and I got right in. It works great!

Having an istaller issue with OSX 10.11.3.  Just installed Java 1.8.0_73 (validated as the only version of Java on the system)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/java.

When the installer reaches the JRE check it fails the check and the install stops.

Any ideas?

Paul

Not applicable

Just want to reinforce: make sure you use the Java 8 JDK not the JRE.

I was having the same problem--stuck on the splash screen with Teradata Studio 15.10 on OS X 10.11.4.

First tried installing Java 6 (I had no Java installed at all)...didn't work.

Then installed Java 8 JRE...didn't work.

Then installed Java 8 JDK...did work.

Angela.moreau first indicated the distinction in this thread so credit goes to her...just wanted to amplify it.

Teradata Employee

Also note that this is mentioned in the Readme file and on the download page. This is an Oracle JRE issue. The Oracle JRE does not contain the libraries to support a Java Application. 

I am seeing the same problem, I have installed 

java version "1.8.0_101"

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_101-b13)

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.101-b13, mixed mode)

and Teradata 15.11.00

Whenever I try to connect it hangs. The only thing I can do is Force Quit the application.

Any ideas?

Teradata Employee

Christopher, Are you able to launch Teradata Studio or Teradata Studio Express and create the Connection Profile? If so, I don't think it is a JRE issue. What database are you trying to connect to? Aster, Teradata, Hadoop?