Using SQL History tab slows Studio to a crawl

Teradata Studio
Enthusiast

Re: Using SQL History tab slows Studio to a crawl

I have this issue too with 122 entries in the history.  I have to force quit the app to recover control.

Teradata Studio version: 15.10.01.01 (I think, see below)

JRE version: 1.8.0_71

MAC OS Version: 10.11.3

I'll gladly try an alpha to fix this issue.

Enthusiast

See attached image for more version numbers.

Teradata Employee

@sfought, OK, I will increase the entries and see if I can his this issue. thanks.

Enthusiast

Any update on this issue?  Thanks.

Teradata Employee

@sfought, I upped the number of entries in my SQL History to over 150 and still no slow down in the SQL Editor. My queries are not long (a single select, a few lines long) nor taking a long time to run. Some returning large result sets. Some failing to force failures in SQL History. But still no slow down. 

Enthusiast

Could you please share the version TS you are using, Java VM type and version, any changes you have made to the VM and the type and configuration of the computer you are using?

Thanks,

Scott

Enthusiast

Hello,

I've had tremendous slow downs using Teradata Studio on a Macbook Pro (brand new) with 16 GB of memory on OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.5.  Sometimes it is the editor and sometimes the History windows are too slow to use.  I can type a line very quickly and then just sit back and slowly watch the characters appear on the screen for 15-30 seconds.  This is working with very little data, and mostly just coding for a stored procedure.  It is virtually unusable.

Other times, it takes for ever to scroll through the History window or resize a window.

We have way too many people on Macs at this new TD customer to attempt to roll this out as such.  Who can help resolve the issue within Teradata?  I see so many threads on this and have tried most of the suggestions that I have seen.

The only anomoly is that we are pointing this at Teradata on a VM to test and play, but the response back from the DB is reasonable for being a VM.

1) I don't have SQL Code Assist Autoactivation turned on.

2) The activity Monitor shows TD Studio at about 500 MB.  So, I increased the Xmx parameter in the TeradataStudio.ini file as such from 512m (still slow):

--launcher.library

../../../plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.cocoa.macosx.x86_64_1.1.200.v20150204-1316

-vmargs

-XstartOnFirstThread

-Dorg.eclipse.swt.internal.carbon.smallFonts

-Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.6

-Xms512m

-Xmx2028m

-XX:MaxPermSize=512m

-Djava.util.Arrays.useLegacyMergeSort=true

TD Studio version info: 15:10:11.201601.....

java -version

java version "1.8.0_73"

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_73-b02)

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.73-b02, mixed mode)

Thank you for any help,

Steve

Teradata Employee

Steve,  We have not been able to recreate the slow down issue but here is a posting from a user that found a solution. Please let me know if this works for you as well.

"I'm on OSX El Capitan 10.11.3. My Java Control Panel showed I had the recommended version installed. I discovered that my Temporary Internet Files settings for Java were set to allow 32GB of temp files. I reduced the limit to about 5GB and used "Delete files..." for Trace and Log Files and Cached Applications and Applets. 

Now for me the application is running faster than it ever has before."

Enthusiast

No effect.  I now have admin rights to my Mac and made the changes suggested in this exchange with regard to Java temp files as shown above.  Traversing the SQL History is still painfully slow.  I have restarted the machine several times, killed and closed other applications and it is still painfully slow.

Did I miss anything in my changes?  What else can I try? We use Chrome here.  Are there any issues there?  Where does the data and the databse reside for the SQL history?  What kind of DB is it?

Teradata Employee

The SQL History is stored in a Derby database within the Studio workspace. Is your workspace created locally and not on a remote location?