I am working directly on my Macbook and it should all be local. The only anomoly, as mentioned earlier, is that we are pointing at a VM for the interim. Is there a setting as to where the history could reside elsewhere?
There currently is not a setting to store the SQL History elsewhere, but since your SQL History is stored locally not sure that would help. I am guessing you have tried clearing the SQL History?
From your earliar post, the workspace location can be changed when you launch with the -data command line option.
I did not clear my SQL History. Should I? IT will scroll fast if its is empty. :-) I only have 106 rows in it. I see where the projects are stored in the StudioWorkspace under Documents on my local drive. However, I was just reading the install guide again, and it says a workspace folder called SQLA should be created. I don't see that. I read how you change the location, but it is all local. I just don't see SQLA in that workspace folder, so where is it residing? Is there a way to check?
So you know what I tried. I first exported the old SQL History. I created a SQLA directory in my StudioWorkspace directory and then ran the TeradataStudio command to change the workspace as such
/Applications/TeradataStudio/Teradata/Studio.app/Contents/MacOS/ TeradataStudio –data
It brought up Teradata Studio again and started from new. I ran a bunch of small queries and then imported the old history database. It is still lagging. I click on a cell and a couple seconds later it highlights, and same thing with scrolling, highlighting, etc.
The strange thing is, I don't see anything in the SQLA directory still. It looks like they created a SQL directory, but there is never anything in it, even after closing. ARe there just hidden files or something?
Thanks Francine for your help. I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling. I believe something got messed up during the install. I am not sure what happened, but at the time, I did not have Admin rights on my laptop/Mac. My install was done remotely over VPN and Webex, and I am not sure if some configuration files or Workspace files may have been set for a shared drive or something.
It is early yet, but Studio is responding much better now and the issue seems to have gone away. I do need to use it longer to be sure, but that will come. I increased the parameters in the .ini file as well. It may be a good idea to document that process of unlocking the directory and files on the Mac Finder and updating the file. This is definitely not intuitive on the Mac.
Thanks again! I will let you know if things go awry.
As an update to the issue for Mac slow down related to the SQL History. We think we have isolated the problem to an issue with Mac OSx Eclipse SWT library when trying to display large text in the cell of the SQL History. Two columns that can have very large text values are the Results column and SQL Statements column. Studio currently allows the full result text to be displayed in the Results cell and a maximum of 1000 characters in the SQL Statements column. When you hover over the cell, it displays a text window with the text. We have changed this to use a default value of 150 characters. You can still see the full text value of the Results cell by double clicking on the Results cell in the SQL History. We have added a SQL History preference called 'Maximum Display Text Length' that you can change to increase this value. Again, 150 characters is the default. This fix will be available in the upcoming Studio/Studio Express 15.11 release.
I notice a similar issue on Windows. After the sql history has accumated after a certain threadhold, the sql editor becomes very slow.
I found that if I check "Automaticaly clean up result history" under Preference/Data management/SQL Development/SQL Results View Options/History Options. And when it gets slow, I close Studio and Reopen it, and SQL Editor's performance is back to normal. It seems now that the sql history tab has a bit over 2000 record when I reopen Studio.