Easyloader Schema Error 15.10 Only

Tools & Utilities
Enthusiast

Re: Easyloader Schema Error 15.10 Only

I guess the issue I'm having if we are moving a flat file to Teradata why doesn't Easy Loader assume all VARCHAR?

Does this mean we need to create a job variables files with the proper schema for the flat file (it would be all VARCHAR I assume)? We're not using one in 15.00.

I also still don't understand why we're seeing FLOATS from easy loader in 15.10 when it was previously all VARCHAR in 15.00?

You've always been very helpful, Steve, when I've posted in the forum.  I appreciate all the time you have given to this question.  We'll do our best to workaround this, but something doesn't seem right here. :/  Thanks again!!!

Teradata Employee

If you are loading data from a flat file to the Teradata Database, the schema will be taken from the target table.

However, it looks like we may have a bug/regression from when EasyLoader was introduced in TPT 13.0.

Please add --SourceFormat 'delimited' and that should tell EasyLoader to convert the target table schema to all-VARCHAR.

-- SteveF
Teradata Employee

Well, I could have edited the previous comment but did not in case someone read the old one.

I checked with the developer to make sure no regressions have occurred and I was assured no regressions have been introduced.

When EasyLoader was first released with TPT 13.0, the idea was to facilitate the loading of data from a delimited flat file to Teradata without the need for a script. And the rule was that the data in the file had to match the table layout exactly (column for column). Thus, EasyLoader would take the schema from the target table and convert the non-VARCHAR columns to VARCHAR and thus generate an all-VARCHAR schema.

EasyLoader should still work that way. 

Thus, I will investigate.

-- SteveF
Teradata Employee

Ok, another update. Yes we have a regression. We were doing an EasyLoader overhaul and introduced a bug (that is currently being fixed).

If you add --SourceFormat delimited (I do not remember whether you need quotes around it), that should get around the bug.

-- SteveF
Enthusiast

You're best Steve!  Once again you came through and I'm so appreciative!  Teradata is lucky to have you and thank you for sticking with this through until the end and providing us with excellent guidance as usual.

--Todd

Enthusiast

Adding --SourceFormat delimited and --SourceFormat "delimited" both produce identical results to above.

Adding --SourceFormat 'delimited' produces:

Teradata Parallel Transporter Version 15.10.01.02 32-Bit

TPT_INFRA: TPT04187: Error: Line 9 of Local Job Variable File:

The value assignment of job variable 'DELIMITED' lacks a value specification in source file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Teradata\client\15.10\Teradata Parallel Transporter/logs\TptScript_12160_jv'.

Job script preprocessing failed.

Job terminated with status 8.

Here's the contents of TptScript_12160_jv:

SOURCEINSTANCES = 1,

FILEINSTANCES = 1,

SOURCEMINSESSIONS = 1,

SOURCEMAXSESSIONS = 32,

TARGETINSTANCES = 1,

LOADINSTANCES = 1,

LOADMINSESSIONS = 1,

LOADMAXSESSIONS = 32,

DCPFORMAT = 'DELIMITED',