ODBC Driver (Windows 10) Visual C++ Redistributable 2012 Update 4 required

Tools & Utilities
Fan

ODBC Driver (Windows 10) Visual C++ Redistributable 2012 Update 4 required

Hi,

I have some troubles with my ODBC Driver (currently version 16.20.00.49, but I tried earlier versions as well) in Windows 10.

After I installed the driver, it works perfectly for 1-2 weeks and then I get this error message ([Teradata][ODBC Teradata Driver] (77) Visual C++ Redistributable 2012 Update 4 required) from my 64 Bit ODBC DSN (32Bit DSN is not affected) although this specific software is installed. What I do then is reinstall the driver and the same thing happens after 1-2 weeks. I'm pretty clueless about the cause of this problem.

Does anyone have the same problem or maybe even a solution to this?

Thx

Simon

3 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Re: ODBC Driver (Windows 10) Visual C++ Redistributable 2012 Update 4 required

That would be msvcr110.dll, which normally would be in the \Windows\System32 folder. Apparently that file is being removed or overwritten by something else. Ideally you could figure out what is happening and stop it from happening again.

A possible workaround would be to place a copy of that DLL lin the same folder as your application ".exe". You might also need to use DLL redirection - create a dummy file, in that same folder, having the name of the application executable with ".local" appended (for example, if the application was tdxodbc.exe you would create a file named tdxodbc.exe.login). 

Fan

Hi Fred,

thank you for your answer. I have a file called msvcr110.dll in my System32 folder as well as in my SysWOW64 folder and it doesn't look like it was changed recently. But I will keep an eye on this file. Unfourtunatly the workaround you proposed also didn't work. Maybe because I used the file from System32. So I reinstalled the ODBC Driver and now it's working again.

Edit: I made a backup of the current msvcr110.dll as well to try the workaround with this version next time the error occurs.

Highlighted
Teradata Employee

The one in System32 is the 64-bit version and the one in SysWOW64 is the 32-bit version. (And no, that's not a typo; that's how the folders are named/used by Windows.)