Good Afternoon All,
Hoping someone can help me out with an issue that's causing me a great deal of frustration...
I need to schedule a stored procedure to run at midnight every night (the procedure generates a new table). I had thought that teradata query scheduler would be able to help me with this, but since downloading and installing it I am unable to open it. Every time I try, it comes up with the following 2 error pop-ups:
Query Scheduler Startup Error
(system time)|COMM |009616|QmCreateShm |CreateFileMap|00005|00005
Query Scheduler Startup Error
(system time)|COMM |009616|Comm:DllMain |CreateShm|00000|99999
I saw that someone had a similar error a few years ago (here https://forums.teradata.com/forum/tools/td-13-query-scheduler-startup-error-on-windows-7-64-bit) and went through all the troubleshooting steps suggested there, but it was unable to solve the issue. I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the scheduler, to no effect.
Additionally, now that I have installed the query scheduler, I now get the same errors when I start up SQL Assistant (although after the errors the SQL assistant runs fine).
My question is: does anyone know how to solve this issue and get query scheduler working? If not, does anyone know of an alternative tool that I can use to schedule queries ahead of time?
Thank you in advance!
I am running windows 7 64 bit, and using teradata tools 188.8.131.52.
First off, do you need to schedule this from your desktop? Can you (or are you allowed to) build a bteq job from a linux server where you could use cron?
If not, then you can actually use the Windows Task Scheduler to setup a batch job using SQL Assistant (it's actually listed in the SQL Assistant Help on how to do this).
The cleaner/better way to do this would be via a Linux system and bteq using cron or some other approved scheduling tool, or you could even use the new Teradata python module and install python on your desktop and setup a windows task to kick it off.
The Teradata Query Scheduler requires the viewer for your desktop, the Query Server which actually schedules/runs the queries (SQL Assistant is also interfaced with it as well thus the errors you see when starting SQL Assistant), it also requires some tables in Teradata for the Query Scheduler server to function. So if that all hasn't been setup correctly the tool will likely not work or even start up. Now, it's been a few years since we have even allowed the Query Scheduling tool (too many problematic tables and the fact it required a windows server to host the server made it not acceptable) so my information is based on what I remember from when we did use the tool, so i could be wrong (which wouldn't be the first time).
However, there are definitely other alternatives to do what you need to do and probably less problematic.
I will through in this last caution, if you schedule something via SQL Assistant or another tool using your personal login and your site forces a password change every X days, then if you don't remember to change it in the scheduled query, you will wind up locking your user account assuming that your DBA team has it setup to lock after X number of bad password attempts.