TPT loads from multiple files in shell script

Tools & Utilities
Highlighted
Enthusiast

TPT loads from multiple files in shell script

Hi everyone,

I have designed a TPT script to load data from a set of specific .txt files to a table within a database in Teradata and it works fine. The general structure of this script involves the definition of the DDL, File Reader and SQL Inserter operators, in a way that the mentioned load can be easily implemented by the following statements:

"APPLY
   ('INSERT INTO ' || @table || ' (  
            :FIELD_1,
            :FIELD_2')
   TO OPERATOR ( SQL_INSERTER [1] )

SELECT * FROM OPERATOR ( FILE_READER_1 [1] )

UNION ALL
SELECT * FROM OPERATOR ( FILE_READER_2 [2] );"

where two File Reader operators (FILE_READER_1 and FILE_READER_2) have been previously defined in order to load the file_1.txt and the file_2.txt into the table by applying the statements above.

Nevertheless, as I understand it, such a precedure implies the definition of multiple File Reader operators (one for each file to load). Therefore, I would like to implement an alternative procedure provided by a unix shell script to execute a single TPT load job (i.e. with a unique FILE_READER operator) for each file existing in a specific directory (e.g. a variable set of .txt files, which can be named as DATA_YYYYMMDD.txt, within a specific directory).

Is there any sample unix script available to achieve such a procedure?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

George

Accepted Solutions
Teradata Employee

Re: TPT loads from multiple files in shell script

The Data Connector operator allows you to wild-card the source Filename, or to indicate that the supplied Filename is in fact a FileList containing the names of the actual data files to be read.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
4 REPLIES 4
Teradata Employee

The Data Connector operator allows you to wild-card the source Filename, or to indicate that the supplied Filename is in fact a FileList containing the names of the actual data files to be read.

Enthusiast

Thank you for the remarks.

The specific definition of the Data Connector operator within my .tpt file is:

DEFINE OPERATOR FILE_READER
   TYPE DATACONNECTOR PRODUCER
   SCHEMA SCHEMA_1
   ATTRIBUTES
   (
      VARCHAR DirectoryPath        = @DIR_SOURCE
      VARCHAR FileName             = @FILE_SOURCE,
      VARCHAR IndicatorMode        = 'N',
      VARCHAR DateForm       = 'AnsiDate',
      VARCHAR OpenMode             = 'Read',
      VARCHAR Format               = 'Delimited',
      VARCHAR TextDelimiter        = ';'
   );

where the variables "DIR_SOURCE" and "FILE_SOURCE" refer to the directory path and the file name of the specific file to load into the target table, respectively. Hence, for instance, if FILE_SOURCE='FILE_20190315.txt', then this .tpt job loads data into the target table from that specific file.

In this sense, following your lines, I have renamed the variable FILE_SOURCE='FILE_*' (instead of FILE_SOURCE='FILE_20190315.txt' alone) of my script_jobvar.txt file and I have easily loaded a list of 'FILE_YYYYMMDD.txt' files with a single .tpt script into a target table.

Thank you very much again.

Enthusiast

I am experimenting a new problem with the previous procedure, since I could load data from a large list of 'FILE_YYYYMMDD.txt' files, but it fails when I execute again the process for a different list of files.

For example, I have two 'FILE_20190314.txt' and 'FILE_20190315.txt' files within the directory 'C:\directory'. Then I execute my .tpt script to load data into a target table from these 'FILE_20190314.txt' and 'FILE_20190315.txt' files by setting VARCHAR FileName = 'FILE_*' (or, equivalently, FILE_SOURCE='FILE_*', where FILE_SOURCE is a defined variable related to the attribute FileName of the Data Connector operator) and it works completely fine.

However, when I delete the previous 'FILE_20190314.txt' and 'FILE_20190315.txt' files and I try to repeat this procedure from different files (e.g. 'FILE_20190316.txt' and 'FILE_20190317.txt' files), then it fails (the system requires the original 'FILE_20190314.txt' and 'FILE_20190315.txt' files to execute the job, apart from the new 'FILE_20190314.txt' and 'FILE_20190315.txt' files):

Therefore, the job "remembers" the original sources and it cannot load data from a distinct list of files. However, in the second job, I only want to load 'FILE_20190316.txt' and 'FILE_20190317.txt' files.

Any idea?

Enthusiast

I have just solved this issue by introducing the attribute "VARCHAR ArchiveDirectoryPath" within the Data Connector operator, so that the respective 'FILE_20190314.txt' and 'FILE_20190315.txt' files of the first process are moved to this Archive Directory Path and the new 'FILE_20190316.txt' and 'FILE_20190317.txt' files can be loaded appropriately in the second process.

Thank you very much again.