Teradata Visual Studio Express for Windows 64 installation woes.

Tools & Utilities
Highlighted
Enthusiast

Teradata Visual Studio Express for Windows 64 installation woes.

There is no JDK 10 available anymore so I installed 11.0.2 and get an error when I launch. The message refers me to this log.

Error log

Also, the installation did not create a shortcut nor an entry in the Windows 10 start menu. I had to do that manually

11 REPLIES 11
Teradata Employee

Re: Teradata Visual Studio Express for Windows 64 installation woes.

As @dnoeth mentioned in your other thread, use JRE 8 and the Java 8 version of Studio Express instead. Be sure both are the same "bit-ness". (You don't need the JDK to run Studio on Windows, only on Mac.) 

Enthusiast

Both download archives have the same name so it is confusing
Enthusiast

I downloaded the first file in this list, which is under the heading that it is the Java8 version.  It installed "ok" but crashes when I start with a reference to look at the Eclipse log.  

The file is the same as the one a few lines below under the heading 

"Teradata Studio Express 16.20.09.00 for Windows x86 64-bit"

So, I don't believe you have the correct link for the Java 8 file.

FireShot Screen Capture #027 - 'Teradata Studio Express I Teradata Downloads' - downloads_teradata_com_download_tools_teradata-studio-express.png

Enthusiast

Latest log file

BTW, I did a diff on the two files and they do differ

Teradata Employee

Do you have JRE 8 64-bit installed? Is it the default?

You may need to edit the TeradataStudio.ini file in the Studio install directory (e.g. C:\Program Files\Teradata\Client\16.20\Teradata Studio nt-x8664).

Insert a line (or change, if the first line already is "-vm") to point to the correct location for Java, e.g.

-vm C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_201\bin\javaw.exe
-startup ...
Enthusiast

The log file in the link shows the JRE is correct. I will try your other suggestion later this morning.

Enthusiast

The file now looks like this:

-vm C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_202\bin\javaw.exe
-startup plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.3.200.v20160318-1642.jar --launcher.library plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.win32.win32.x86_64_1.1.400.v20160518-1444 -vmargs -Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.8 -Xms512m -Xmx512m -Djava.util.Arrays.useLegacyMergeSort=true

Still crashes.

Note that the release is jrel1.8.0_202, not ...201. Should that make a difference?

Enthusiast

I have tried it without the 201 update and still the same problem

Enthusiast

Success!

The last few lines of the log gave me a clue.

Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: The platform metadata area could not be written: C:\Program Files\Teradata\Client\16.20\Teradata Studio Express nt-x8664\workspace\.metadata.  By default the platform writes its content
under the current working directory when the platform is launched.  Use the -data parameter to
specify a different content area for the platform.
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.DataArea.assertLocationInitialized(DataArea.java:61)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.DataArea.getStateLocation(DataArea.java:124)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.InternalPlatform.getStateLocation(InternalPlatform.java:539)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.Plugin.getStateLocation(Plugin.java:289)
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.LocalMetaArea.<init>(LocalMetaArea.java:59)
	at org.eclipse.core.resources.ResourcesPlugin.start(ResourcesPlugin.java:456)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.BundleContextImpl$3.run(BundleContextImpl.java:774)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.BundleContextImpl$3.run(BundleContextImpl.java:1)
	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.BundleContextImpl.startActivator(BundleContextImpl.java:767)

I then ran as Administrator and it worked

The message says I should use the -data parameter to specify a different location to change the content area. If I want to run it not as administrator, where should I put the content area?