Introducing Teradata Wallet

Tools
Tools covers the tools and utilities you use to work with Teradata and its supporting ecosystem. You'll find information on everything from the Teradata Eclipse plug-in to load/extract tools.
Teradata Employee

Re: Introducing Teradata Wallet

All,

My client want to implement TDWallet agaist TD 13.10.

If they upgrade TTU to 14.10 and install TDWallet 14.10 against Teradata 13.10 database, would it work or does we need to upgrade dataabase to TD14.0 or above ?

In my understanding, all TTU ulities are backward compatable (which means TTU 15.00 can work with TD13.00)

Thanks.

Teradata Employee

shaunkim1123 -- a document titled Teradata Tools and Utilities Release Definition (B035-2029) is available at www.info.teradata.com. If you scroll down to the section describing Teradata Wallet, you will find a sub-section titled Supported Teradata Database Versions. There you will find that Teradata Wallet 14.10 supports Teradata Database 13.10.

I imagine your client will need to use a CLIv2 or ODBC-based utilities in order to utilize Teradata Wallet. You should also check the Release Definition document to make sure that each of those utiliities also supports Teradata Database 13.10. I suspect that they all do, but there may be exceptions or discontinued products.

Teradata Employee

Thanks Shawn for the article & MaxG for answering the queries by all the Forum Members. These answers clearly enhance the understanding of Wallet especially concerning portability, Unix/Linux & Windows differentiated appraoch, limitations, curious case of infinite loop etc. 

-Smarak

Teradata Employee

Hello Shawn & MaxG,

03 Questions concerning TD Wallet:

(a) The "list" command will show the item names only, not the item values. Any way for a user to see the item names and item values also in his/her own wallet.

(b) When a User change the password from "Old_Value" to "New_Value" (Eg: 90 Days Password Expiry for most Business Users), do they need to delete the corresponding entry from their TD Wallet and update the new values by adding the same.

(c) Any "Update" feature available instead of "Deleting & Adding" for changing the Item Value corresponding to a Item Name.

(d) In Batch Or Interactive Mode, I noticed the "tdwallet" keyword needs to be provided in small letters only. Teradata considers Password case insensitive. But while using TDWallet, I noticed getting Failed Login,Password,Account Error when the "tdwallet" keyword is Capital. Bit of an irony as I have always liked this case insensitivity of Teradata Password. 

Thanks In Advance,

Smarak

Highlighted
Teradata Employee

Smarak -- thank you for the feedback. Here are the answers you seek:

(a) No, as that would defeat the purpose of Teradata Wallet.

(b) Yes. We are aware that this is not optimal, but there are no other solutions at time time.

(c) No. Trying to keep it simple.

(d) The password in the logon command is not necessarily the Teradata Database password -- it could be a case-sensitive third-party sign-on password (like LDAP or Kerberos).

Hello Shawn & MaxG,

I have tried to use tdwallet with our job scheduling software IBM TWS (Maestro) using Windows server.

Running a bteq script interactively tdwallet works fine.

Running the same script using tws I get the following error message:

*** CLI error: CLI2: TDWALLETERROR(543): Teradata Wallet error.  The wallet does not contain an item named "pwd_for_autccp_admin".

*** Return code from CLI is: 543

*** Error: Logon failed!

Unfortunately I don’t know a possibility to add a password in tdwallet by using a batch program or to retrieve the user which tdwallet is using.

To get the sid and username I added the command .os whoami /user to the bteq script.

I get in both scenarios (interactive and batch) the same result. Either username and sid.

The last test I made was creating the password list by using the user which is used by tws. That test also failed.

Any ideas?

Teradata Employee

Wolfgang -- you can use the Expect tool (mentioned in the comments above) to add entries to the wallet.

The Teradata Wallet user should be the same as the BTEQ user. Wallet entries on Windows are just generic user credentials with Enterprise persistence -- they can be listed (but not added or modified) using the Credential Manager. The only thing I can think of is that the script executes under the same account but on a different system, and for some reason the credentials did not sync up. Maybe the user needs to log out and then log in on that system. I would try ".os hostname" and ".os tdwallet list" in both scenarios.

Hi MaxG,

As mentioned we use a Windows Server. I could not find a Windows tool (Expect one for 999$) to download. Do you have a link where I can download Expect for Windows?

A non interactive mode to generate the wallet entries would be very helpful. The security would not be worse than using Expect.

Regarding “different system”:

It is the same virtual computer and the same user. The difference is that I start the first test with cmd.exe and the second with a service running with the same user.

I tried several logins.

I get the same result for ".os hostname" and “.os whoami /user”.

Tdwallet list returns in the first test the complete list. The second test returns an empty list. I would need a parameter for tdwallet which returns the user because .os whoami/user is obviously not the right choice.

Thanks Wolfgang

Teradata Employee

Wolfgang - Expect is free open source. You can download the source and build it yourself. Also it looks like there's a free community edition of ActiveTcl, which should contain an Expect executable (I haven't verified this).

I would imagine that the user executing tdwallet is the same as the user executing the whoami command. There is no parameter for tdwallet to return the effective user. My guess is that the service is not running with the same permissions as the regular user account. It may be missing some privileges and can't access the credential storage. Please open an incident with GSC if you need me to pursue this further, although I suspect this is a Windows account management issue, not a Teradata Wallet issue.

Fan

Hello Shawn and MaxG,

I´m facing the issue bellow: (tdwallet.log)

wallet destructor RETURNS (tid=0x00000001)

EXCEPTION Teradata_TdWallet::TdWalletException thrown, what="Attempt to add the data file failed beacause the data file is full. (database or disk is full)" (wallet=0x200CC460. tid=0x00000001)

I thought tdwallet would create some kind of temporary file from tdwallet info and I checked my disk space, and there´s a lot of free space. 

So, the question is: what its cause ?

Any tips would be very welcome!

Tks!