Missing databases: Tableau Desktop 10.5

Tools
Tools covers the tools and utilities you use to work with Teradata and its supporting ecosystem. You'll find information on everything from the Teradata Eclipse plug-in to load/extract tools.

Missing databases: Tableau Desktop 10.5

I successfully connected to a Teradata server, however, the databases that I have permission to access don't appear in Tableau Desktop. Is this a known issue that other users have experienced? I attached an annotated screenshot.

Tableau missing Teradata databases 2.png

Accepted Solutions
Teradata Employee

Re: Missing databases: Tableau Desktop 10.5

The DBA team at each site controls access to the dictionary views. The Teradata engine has a default but most sites have thier own policies and settings. The DBA team will need to be contacted to understand their settings and whether they can be adjusted to allow access to the userid being used for Tableau.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
6 REPLIES
Teradata Employee

Type something 😊

The Tableau drop down does not automatically load an item list, so right now you are saying give me all databases that start with blank

Dave

Highlighted

I also thought the Database search bar would return database names that meet my search criteria. However, starts with "B" returned "No matches".
Alternatively, I typed "BTS" into the Database search bar and click the + icon to add the database. This appears to have successfully connected to the BTS database (even though I was seeing "No matches" search results). In a similar way, I was able to add a table (despite seeing "No matches" again in the search results).

A friend at my company said, "To my knowledge, it happens not because of an issue with the Tableau Software product, but rather because you as a user may not have permission to query the underlying table in Teradata that the magnifying glass attempts to query. For that reason, your best and also most performant route forward is the one you've identified: to know exactly which database and table you're searching for, then enter those exactly with the + sign."

Is Teradata aware of this? Now I know to ignore the "No matches" message, but other users may be confused by it. 

success.png

Teradata Employee

Access to the "dictionary views" (used for search) is granted to PUBLIC by default. If you don't have access, the driver would return an error to Tableau. What Tableau does with that error is outside Teradata's control.

Thanks for your reply. I'm probably not understanding the naunces here. Why return an error to Tableau?

Instead, it seems appropriate to return a dictionary view"that only includes the databases and tables that the user has access to. I don't have access to ALL the databases and tables at my company (Apple), so it wouldn't be appropriate to return a dictionary view of our entire data warehouse to me. I imagine this case applies to many other users and many other companies.

Anyways, I'm currently ignoring the "No matches" search result but other users may be confused by it.

Teradata Employee

The DBA team at each site controls access to the dictionary views. The Teradata engine has a default but most sites have thier own policies and settings. The DBA team will need to be contacted to understand their settings and whether they can be adjusted to allow access to the userid being used for Tableau.

Teradata Employee

If Tableau is asking for "all" and the local DBAs have revoked that permission, the database will return a failure indication to Tableau. I agree that Tableau displaying "No matches" for this case, rather than something such as "Search failed", is misleading.

Teradata does provides separate dictionary views for "all objects" and filtered "objects for which the user holds some access permisson" (referred to as XViews because they are suffixed with an X). Applications can choose to use either version for metadata requests (via driver option if using metadata APIs, or via explicit reference to one or the other in a SQL query). Tableau does not currently allow the user to choose between the two in their Teradata connector.