Teradata Studio Express

Tools
Tools covers the tools and utilities you use to work with Teradata and its supporting ecosystem. You'll find information on everything from the Teradata Eclipse plug-in to load/extract tools.
Teradata Employee

Re: Teradata Studio Express

Hello!

I would like to use the "Create DDL" feature (on the Database level) to copy Table and View definitions to another database. Unfortunately, this feature doesn't seem to be very matured. I am running into the following problems:

.) Format specifications are missing,
.) "no check option" statements in soft references are missing,
.) the definitions are not in the order of dependencies ("create database" is the LAST statement created!)

The portation of DDLs is a topic that arises regularly in almost every project I attend, and we have no tool to easily do that without manual fiddling. Unfortunately, neither is Teradata Studio in its current state, although I think it would be the right place to look for this functionality.
Teradata Employee

We are looking at improvements to the Generate DDL for the next release of Teradata Studio to address these issues.
Teradata Employee

Is there a data set I could use at home to test several functions? I could get use of something like dummy airline data, or similar. I know I could find some on various data blogs, my questions is if TD provides a similar database to say AdventureWorks in MS SQL
Teradata Employee

Not that I am aware of, unless the Teradata Express downloads come with sample data. You could post your question to the Database Forum.
Not applicable

I could not create new database connection, please tell me what is the value that i have to give in the boxes.
Teradata Employee

Refer to the article above, section Creating Connections.
Fan

Why when I try to export the results of a result set to an external file (Plain Text format) do I end up with a zero byte file? This seems to happen with larger result sets but not smaller ones. In the case of a result set with 78,312 rows the resulting export file is empty. If I limit the same SQL query to pull in only, say 20,000 rows, it exports jut fine.

Is there some setting which puts a limit on the number of rows or size of the export file that can be created?
Teradata Employee

@denee, There is not a limit that we are setting. I know with Excel there is a limit on the Excel side when you have more than 65,000 rows. But I am able to export to plain text for very large result sets. My recent test was 200,000 rows. Are there any messages in the error log?
Fan

No error message at all. It appears as though it's exporting fine but then the resulting file is just empty. This seems to happen anytime the resulting file is over about 80k rows or 5MB in size. The only exception being if I export as HTML or XML. The works but obviously that format isn't really usable.
Highlighted
Enthusiast

Could you please highlight the differences between Studio and Studio Express?