Teradata Studio products - choosing the right client tool

Tools
Tools covers the tools and utilities you use to work with Teradata and its supporting ecosystem. You'll find information on everything from the Teradata Eclipse plug-in to load/extract tools.
Teradata Employee

Re: Teradata Studio products - choosing the right client tool

Ken, Sorry, yes I see what you mean. The Privilege area can get very confusing. We are working on redesigning the Teradata Studio Administration user interface. I will open an improvement to make sure we don't leave out this option!

Teradata Employee

Hello Fgrimmer,

While running procedures with parameters with Run feature from Teradata Studio GUI, the given parameters cannot be tracked in DBQL in sql statement, while if you run the procedure as a simple SQL statement using parameters, the complete SQL statement with parameters can be tracked in DBQL. Any idea why it happens? Or if you have some way of doing it, please do let me know.

Thanks.

Teradata Employee

Hammad, I see that there is the "WITH PARAMINFO" option in the WITH clause of of the LOGGING statements. Its logging behavior is "This option logs parameterized request variable names, types, positions, and values into DBQLParamTbl."

Could this be what you need to use in order to log the parameters?

Teradata Employee

Hi Chuckbert, 

Thanks for your reply, you are right we can capture the parameters information by using "WITH PARAMINFO", but the problem is when you run a procedure e.g. call proc1 (a,b,out) from bteq, or sql assistant it runs and dbql logs the complete query info along with the parameters, however if this procedure will be executed from GUI feature "execute" from Teradata studio the parameters info will not be logged in dbql and in dbql you will se something like: call proc1 (?,?,?), i talked with teradata and they told me that if i give paramters at run time, the execution plan of procedure will be: 1) generate query plan of proc, 2) data values will be passed as data parcels 3) dbql will store query plan with no data values, this is something by design from teradata and the only way to capture these values is from application side before it comes to the parser. According to teradata they will resolve this issue in upcoming releases.

Regards,

Hammad

Enthusiast

Hello, I have a question regarding Java Heap space and bit-depth of Teradata Studio.  Do you know the limit of addressable memory in Java Heap space with the 32-bit Studio vs. the 64-bit Studio clients?  We are having issues with Java Heap space errors where increasing the setting does not seem to help.  We also have some users running the 64-bit Studio and it seems there is a larger limit on Heap.

Teradata Employee

The 32bit architecture supports an address space of about 4GB. In practice on a Windows system only about 1.5-1.6 GB are available. A 64bit architecture supports an address space of about 16 Exabytes (about 17 billion GB). Again the OS + RAM will limit this but you can acheive much higher limits.

In sqoop export fro HDFS to teradata, i am facing following error how to fix the issue

INFO mapreduce.Job: Task Id : attempt_1435465700866_0006_m_000001_2, Status : FAILED

Error: com.teradata.connector.common.exception.ConnectorException: Batch insert job failed

Command i am using is

sqoop export --connect jdbc:teradata://x.x.x.x/DATABASE=university -username dbc -password dbc --input-fields-terminated-by ',' -table <table_name> --num-mappers 100  -export-dir <path>

Enthusiast

I have installed Teradata Studio 15 how do i connect to the database can you help ? 

Teradata Employee

Satish, We have usage articles that would help you to use Studio. Please refer to (http://developer.teradata.com/tools/articles/teradata-studio#ConnectionWiz) for description on how to connect to your database.

Enthusiast

Thank You very much.

I believe we need a Server on Linux for us to connect . I just have windows OS . Can i connect ??