Teradata Studio products - choosing the right client tool

Tools
Tools covers the tools and utilities you use to work with Teradata and its supporting ecosystem. You'll find information on everything from the Teradata Eclipse plug-in to load/extract tools.
Teradata Employee

Re: Teradata Studio products - choosing the right client tool

@padhia, We are working on adding additional platform support for Teradata Plugin. Yes, all three products come with embedded Teradata and Aster JDBC drivers.

mzs
Enthusiast

Yesterday I started testing TDS to eventually migrate from SQL Assistant / Teradata Administrator, and found couple of pretty convenient things missing -

1. It seems I can't execute only highlighted SQL, I can't even have something like that in SQL window:

DATABASE my_target;

SELECT * FROM CTL_DETAIL;

I am getting an error "Only a COMMIT STATEMENT or null statement is legal after a DDL Sattement." no matter what option I use to execute it.

2. Explain can still be invoked with F6 as a "hot key", but Execute lost F5 "hot key", and now has some ugly combination of "Ctrl-Alt-I"

3. Where are the line numbers in SQL Editor?

Please let me know if I just didn't read Help File carefully enough.

Most likely, I will have more feedback as I keep learning the tool, but I am pretty upset with initial impressions.

Thank you,

Teradata Employee

@mzs, 1. Because you have a DDL statement, you will want to choose the option 'Execute as Individual Statements'.

2. We are looking to allow the F5 for executing SQL in our next release.

3. Right click in the left margin of the SQL Editor and the drop down menu has the 'Show Line Numbers' option. You can also set the option in the Preferences. In the top most toolbar, click on Window>Preferences. In the Preferences dialog, enter the word 'line' in the 'type filter text' window to filter the preference pages. Choose the Text Editors page under the General heading. There is an option 'Show line numbers'. Check the box and click Apply.

Teradata Employee

@mzs, Regards to #2, as a workaround,  there is also a way to add a key binding for execute SQL command: Bring up the Preferences dialog and enter 'binding' in the filter text. In the Keys preference page you can add or change key bindings. Scroll down and select  Execute Individual SQL in the Command list. You can change the key binding from Ctrl+Alt+I to F5 or click the Copy Command to create a new key binding for Execute Individual SQL. Click Apply. I hope that helps.

mzs
Enthusiast

Thank you very much for your answer.  I have another issue I can't solve - when I drag the database as an object from Data Source Explorer into Compare Objects, I get both options - "Copy Object" and "Compare Object Definitions".  However, when I drag just one table, or stored procedure, I only get an option to "Copy Object", "Compare..." button is disabled.  Please help. 

Mike

Teradata Employee

@mzs, Copy and Compare allows you to drag a source object and drop it on the destination parent object or a comparative object.

Because a schema (database) can be compared with another schema (database) and have another schema as a parent schema, both the copy and compare options are given. If you want to compare two tables or stored procedures, you would drag and drop the source table or procedure on another table or procedure. If you want to copy the table or procedure, you would drop it on the destination parent schema (database).

mzs
Enthusiast

Great thank you.  Can this be added to the Help file.

Mike

Teradata Employee

@mzs, Yes, I will review the help for clarity on this.

mzs
Enthusiast

Hello Francine,

I have one more question - at some point we discovered that SQL Assistant is not able to execute a script of more than about 400 lines, sort of.  It would run, and then "Completed successfully" without indicating an error, i.e. a script that should of create 15 stored procedures, would create 10, and then report success, or if a single procedure script would be more than about 400 lines, and there is a syntax error, it would not get reported, so we had to run long scripts in parts, and just do a heavy duty testing on some known long code procedures to flash out possible syntax issues.  I tried running a long script in TD Studio, and got an error: "Parse Error splitting statement".  The good thing - it did report an error.  The question is - what is the limit on the number of lines in a single procedure definition, or a script containing multiple DDL statements, that is executed as individual statements?

Also, in SQL Assistant, a right-click brings up "Find/Replace" menu, plus couple other options.  Is there a plan to get them back (at least "Find/Replace") on a right-click menu?

Thank you

mzs
Enthusiast

almost forgot - Help File window is done as a modal form, i.e. it prevents changing focus from itself to other windows.  Extremely inconvenient.