Teradata Studio products - choosing the right client tool

Tools
Tools covers the tools and utilities you use to work with Teradata and its supporting ecosystem. You'll find information on everything from the Teradata Eclipse plug-in to load/extract tools.
mzs
Enthusiast

Re: Teradata Studio products - choosing the right client tool

It appears that when connecting to Teradata, JDBC configuration requires physical host name.  Also, when we tried to connect to MS SQL Server, using sql jdbc driver, we needed port number for the MS SQL instance.  In many companies both pieces of information are closely guarded.  This is, of course, not tool-specific, it is JDBC issue.  Is there a plan to allow use of ODBC connections (which, by the way, can be distributed by desktop support, so developers would not need neither admin rights nor specific knowledge to configure connections)?

Teradata Employee

At this time, there are no plans to support ODBC.

I want to do some SQL script automation using Teradata Studio. Is there a way to execute SQL files under a project by calling teradata studio via command line?

What are the other command line options does Teradata Studio support?

Teradata Employee

@lynxstormcat, Studio does not have any command line execution of SQL at this time. You can execute one or more SQL files inside of Studio, from the Project Explorer.

Enthusiast

We've run into some issues using Studio as our GUI tool to access our Teradata Aster database. At this time the biggest problem is exporting to a CSV. The output file is just a line of text with no delimiters and while you can import it into Excel you can't do any calculations on the numeric data since Excel views it as text. In addition large result sets fail to export due to a Java heap error.

We're using 14.02.

I have other items and additional documentation if you would like to see it.

Thank you.

Teradata Employee

@assolij, I am not able to recreate your issue. I was able to Extract the data from my Aster table as CSV. It opened in Excel and I was able to SUM my integer column. Am I missing something that you did? There is an issue with Excel '97 (.xls) as to row limitation. You can increate the Java heap in Studio or Studio Express by increasing the memory sizes in your TeradataStudio.ini or TeradataStudioExpress.ini file and restarting Studio or Studio Express. Current values are:

-Xms256m

-Xmx256m

-XX:MaxPermSize=256m

You can increase, for example:

-Xms512m

-Xmx512m

-XX:MaxPermSize=512m

Your ini file is located in the install directory. For example, for Teradata Studio:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Teradata\Client\14.00\Teradata Studio

Another option is to export the value from the Result Set Viewer. It provides an option to directly create an Excel file (.xls and .xlsx). You would also have to increas your Java memory values if your result set if very large.

Enthusiast

That's 2 z's. Don't feel bad, you're not the first and won't be the last.

I'll pass on the information about the .INI file to the user. The user is using Excel 2010 so hopefully the Excel 97 issue has been resolved.

The testing is being done by doing something he does often with SQL Assistant against our Teradata environment with Studio. Here are his comments about the export functionality:

1. Unable to use CAST in Sales by Hour query. (Other cast commands do work). CAST(Transaction_End_Tm AS CHAR (2)) SalesHour. Need to extract the hour portion of a timestamp for grouping. Error is “Right truncation of string data”. Note: Truncation is the desired result. This is a major issue, SBH queries are used for many projects, analysis of merchandise tests and seasonal sales.
  2. There is no option to export results directly to a file or database.  Exporting the result window is limited to a few data types, no MBD or ACC available.
    1. CSV is not working (see result.csv attached).  The output is not comma delimited, just a single line of text for each row.
    2. XLSX and XLS creates all decimal fields as text (see result.xlsx attached), useless for our purposes. Cause appears to be left justification of decimal columns in the Studio result window. 
    3. Large result sets fail “An internal error occurred during: "Handle Result Sets Java heap space”
    4. Unable to copy the entire result window, only the portion visible on screen.  However that copy is formatted as CSV.
  3. Parameter syntax is changed (from ?name to ? and a value must be entered for each occurrence of the parameter.  Minor issue but time consuming and clunky. 
Teradata Employee

@azzolij, Sorry about the mistype on your name. :-(. Let me address your issues:

1. One difference is that the Studio connection JDBC property TMODE is set to ANSI, where SQLA is TERA mode, which does not allow for truncation issues causing the "Right truncation of string data" error to be returned. You can change your connection's JDBC TMODE property to TERA and see if that helps.

2. We are working on an 'Export Mode' feature and hope to have it in a future release. For Teradata, we have a Teradata Export option that has more features than the Extract option (from Eclipse). For Aster Database, only the Extract option is available but that is also something we are working on for future release.

3. You can name your parameters with ?\name syntax. SQLA treats paramters as text substitutions where with Studio they are parameterized statements that get passed to the JDBC driver/database. I am not sure what it would take to allow multiple occurrences of the same named parameter. But something to look into.

Enthusiast

Is there a target date for the future release? We have an Aster project going live in about 3 weeks and we were hoping to have a single GUI product to give our users. Your release date isn't likely that soon, but at least it would help the people making the decision.

Teradata Employee

@azzolij, Our next release for Studio products is 14.10, scheduled for Q3 of this year.