Teradata Studio products - choosing the right client tool

Tools
Tools covers the tools and utilities you use to work with Teradata and its supporting ecosystem. You'll find information on everything from the Teradata Eclipse plug-in to load/extract tools.

Re: Teradata Studio products - choosing the right client tool

Francine

I'm trying to determine what TTU products the studios replace as we plan our v14.10 upgrade. 

Seems like what was called the TTU Utility pack (ODBC/JDBC drivers, SQL Assistant, TD Administrator, GSS, ICU, etc) is all included or replace by Studio... everything but BTEQ, correct?

In a previous note, you indicated that JDBC Fastload is used.  Is that a 1-for-1 replacement for the PC-based Teradata Fastload in TTU?  Same question for FastExport... is it a replacement for Teradata FastExport? 

From the DBA perspective, many of these products are not in the Studio (yet).  I'm referring to Visual Explain, SET, Index and Stat Wizards, Query Scheduler and Workload Analyzer.  Can you comment on which, if any, of these will be in the 3Q13 v14.10 release? 

Appreciate any and all feedback, or insights on where to get this info...

Thx!

Joe

Teradata Employee

@guitarjoe, Teradata Studio is intended as an alternative to Teradata Administrator and SQL Assistant. I have not seen plans for incorporating GSS and ICU functionality. There are plans to include Visual Explain and Teradata Analyst Pack (Index Wizard and SET) in future revisions. As well as a Studio Platinum that would include Teradata Workload Analyzer. The future items are still in the planning phase and not part of the upcoming 14.10 release.

Teradata Studio does not replace Teradata FastLoad or Teradata FastExport but mentions the JDBC FastLoad/FastExport options that are used under the covers when loading or exporting large amounts of data. The stand alone Teradata FastLoad and FastExport tools allows you to control and customize your FastLoad/FastExport scripts.

Not applicable

Hi,

Where can I install Teradata GSS Client 14.10 from please?

Dave

Teradata Employee

TTU 14.10 software is available on the install CDs that customers can get from their Teradata account team.

Fan

When I open up Teradata Studio Express 14.00, I get the message:

The application can not be started because its workspace is in use.

Only one application can us a workspace at a time

I have removed and reinstalled the software, and still get this message on the initial startup.

I do have a workspace folder in my directory.

Any suggestions?

Teradata Employee

Are you running Eclipse separately? Studio Express uses a workspace directory called "workspace", as well does Eclipse. You can change the name of your workspace directory when you launch Studio Express by including the -data option on the command line. Refer to the Release Definition, located in your /doc directory of the install, for specifics on Changing your Workspace.

Fan

I noticed that the options show building the Workspace on open.  I deleted the existing folder, and re-opened Studio Express.  It rebuilt the folder, and now works correctly.

In Tereadata Studio Express Query window, Select the query and press F6 for Explain. 

Select multiple queries and press F6; First query explain results set in results set viewer and the other queries(other than the first query) are getting executed and results are produced. 

In TSE, Is there a way to redirect the multiple queries output result sets to file like export in SQA Assist.  Thanks. 

Teradata Employee

@gandham, we'll look into explain for multiple statements. As well, the ability to redirect output to a file, 'export mode', is on the list for our next release.