Transitioning from SQL Assistant to Studio Express

Tools
Tools covers the tools and utilities you use to work with Teradata and its supporting ecosystem. You'll find information on everything from the Teradata Eclipse plug-in to load/extract tools.
Enthusiast

Re: Transitioning from SQL Assistant to Studio Express

Thank you very much for the prompt response.  However, I like to use the filter option.  Is there an option to do case in-sensitive searches for the History Filter?

Teradata Employee

Sam, Not at this time. I have opened a JIRA for this to get added.

Enthusiast

Thanks so much for your comment, Francine

That's very good news

Thanks a lot for the guide! I just wonder if there is any way I can quickly write and execute commonly used queries like select count(*)? You know in sql assistant we can do this by recording a macro. 

BR, 

Kevin

Teradata Employee

Kevin, Studio Express does not have a macro feature but you can re-execute queries from the SQL History. Right click on the SQL Statement cell in the SQL History and choose Reexecute Statement.

Thank you for your comments!

Great article and great upgrade of this tool.

I think that the "Code Assist" feature seems to have been improved with every release but, when I'm trying to be assisted with the possible columns in a table,  I'd like "Code Assist" was more flexible regarding to use any alias instead of the precise owner+table name.

Also related to table qualification, I think it would be nice that Teradata, but if not, this tool itself, provided a way to avoid the cartesian product when we misspell a table alias in FROM and WHERE clause. A warning of "not found table in FROM" wolud be enough.

Thank you!

Luis Zapata

Enthusiast

I attended your webinar on 6/18 and have downloaded Teradata Express 15.10.  Question.  In SQL Assistant you have an abort button to abort the query that is running.  I cannot find a similar function in Query Development.  Is there a way to issue an abort for a running query? 

Enthusiast

In SQL Assistant, if the result set exceeds a certain number, i.e. over 2000 rows, you are prompted to only return the 2000 rows or all rows.  If you only return 2000 rows, the SQL History will still show the total number of rows that were generated as the result set.  This is valuable as to be able to determine the magnitude of the query result.

In Studio, the History only shows the result set as 2000.  This can be misleading if you are try to measure the impact of the sql or trying to compare the result set total rows to some other query.

Teradata Employee

Randall, Regarding your first question about an Abort button. There currently is not an abort button but we have an open Jira issue for this improvement.

For your second question: This issue has been raised numerous times. There are 2 issues when trying to retrieve the row count from the JDBC result set. 1)We ran into a problem with very large result sets in that the call to the JDBC driver appeared to be hung do to the time it took to reposition the cursor to the end of the result set. And we could not cancel the query at that time. 2) The row count API returns an Integer and for result sets larger than MAX_INTEGER, the value was incorrect. There is an RFC opened against the JDBC driver to resolve this issue so that Studio can accurately retrieve the row count.