Transitioning from SQL Assistant to Studio Express

Tools
Tools covers the tools and utilities you use to work with Teradata and its supporting ecosystem. You'll find information on everything from the Teradata Eclipse plug-in to load/extract tools.
Enthusiast

Re: Transitioning from SQL Assistant to Studio Express

Thank you for the quick response and detailed information.

Enthusiast

I'm keen to try Studio Express and was just about to download it when I noticed the minimum hard disk requirement of 250 GB. Obviously not a thin client!

Is 250 GB correct? Have I misunderstood what Studio Express is? I thought it was an IDE.

Peter

Teradata Employee

Peter, 4 GB is required but 6 GB is preferred. Where did you see 250 GB mentioned so we can correct it?

Enthusiast

Francine, it's in the document 'InstallationGuideAll-2037.pdf' which I downloaded from the downloads section (one of the docs listed below the actual software downloads).

The reference to 250GB of disk space is in Chapter 1, under 'Hardware Requirements'.

The 4GB with 6GB preferred is also mentioned, but as the memory (RAM) required for Studio, with Studio Express only requiring 4GB.

250GB seems unlikely, and I appreciate your follow up.

Peter

Teradata Employee

Peter, Sorry, I was refering to RAM. Users aren't usually concerned with disk space. :-) But I just installed our latest version of Studio Express and the install area took up around 200 MB and workspace is around 3.5 MB, which can certainly grow. But even so, it seems to be way overstated. We will take a look at the documentation. Thank you for pointing this out.

Enthusiast

Thanks Francine. :) That seems more like it, maybe the 250 GB should be 250 MB in the doc.

Teradata Employee

Hi Francine,

Really helpful post. I am planning to migrate to Studio completely from SQL Assistant.

However, i have two concerns here:

1) In SQL Assistant there is an option to right click in the Database Explorer region and select 'Add Database' to have multiple databases added in the explorer view for a connection. I cannot find this option in Studio Express. It is really helpful in SQL assistant as once the database was added, it helped in code assist during query writing like table name or column name suggestions as well helpful in viewing database structure.

In Studio Express, I can only view the default database for my account. However, i found that in the connection properties there is an option 'Cache Properties' which allowed me to select all the databases over that connection to be cached. But still even after selecting them, these databases are not shown in the Data  Source Explorer view nor code assist is aware of these databases.

This is the only option preventing me from switching to Studio completely.

I would like to know if there is any other option that can enable Code Assist for multiple databases during query development.

2) Another question that i wanted to know is Apart from Administrator tasks, is there any other difference in Studio and Studio Express?

Thanks,

Mujeeb

Teradata Employee

Mujeeb, 1) To add a single Database to the Data Source Explorer, see the section above titles 'Add a Database'. You need to change your Data Source Explorer Load Preference to uncheck the show as hierarchy option and select 'User Choice', in order to see the menu option.

For Code Assist, make sure the Code Assist is toggled on in the top toolbar or Tools menu. Then when you pause during typing your SQL query, the code assist will kick in.

2) Refer to the DevX article: Teradata Studio Products - Choosing the right tool (http://developer.teradata.com/tools/articles/teradata-studio-products-choosing-the-right-client-tool), for a comparison of the two procuts.

Hello, I am wondering if there is a way to get the out parameter to show in the result set in studio. Here is the simplest version of a stored procedure that demonstrates my issue.

REPLACE PROCEDURE USER_WORKING.test

(
IN intxt VARCHAR(30),
OUT outtxt VARCHAR(30)
)

BEGIN

SET outtxt = intxt ;

END;

When I run this is SQLA whatever I pass in to the procedure gets returned in the result set. However when I run this same procedure in Studio nothing gets returned in the result set.  On the bigger procedure all the underlying statements get run but for whatever reason the out parameter does not show. I have been looking for quite a while for a setting that allows the output parameter to show up in the result set but have not found anything yet.

Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated 

Dennis

Teradata Employee

Thanks Francine for the help.

One thing i noticied however is that while adding a database to DSE, the database name is case sensitive unlike SQL Assistant. Studio was not accepting the database name if the case was different.

But once i figured that out I was able to add my choice of databases. 

Thanks Again,

Mujeeb