Transitioning from SQL Assistant to Studio Express

Tools
Tools covers the tools and utilities you use to work with Teradata and its supporting ecosystem. You'll find information on everything from the Teradata Eclipse plug-in to load/extract tools.
Teradata Employee

Re: Transitioning from SQL Assistant to Studio Express

Karam, For Studio Express, this is controlled by the Result Set VIewer preference (default 2000) that users can change. Are you wanting a way to prevent a user from changing this preference value?

Enthusiast

Yes, one of analytics manager requirement is to allow only limited set of rows to a certain business group. I also tried TASM but it is dependent on explain estimates which can vary due to multiple factors like stats , joins, numerous view layers etc. In short , its not behaving the way it should because of mentioned issues. So wondering , if such filter can be hard applied on SQLA or Express.

Teradata Employee

Karam, Setting and locking preferences at install time is a feature that is planned for Studio 15.11 release. So are looking to be able to lock the Result Set Viewer 'Max Display Row Count'? Of course this does not limit the number of rows obtained in the database, just the number of rows displayed. 

Enthusiast

Thanks Francine. What are tentitive release dates for Studio 15.11 ?

Teradata Employee

Bonjour Francine,

Need some hep here , I'm trying to set Teradata Studio Express on my Mac OS X Yosemite to connect a generic JDBC database. I just can't get to find where to declare new profile. Your paper provides instructions for Windows, but none for Mac.

I'm leading VoltDB (in-memory Fast Data) integration with Teradata. Our partnership was announced in June.  I would like to connect Studio to both databases (Teradata and VoltDB) .

Can you help!

Personal email pberube@voltDB.com

Teradata Employee

Pat, To create a Generic JDBC connection profile, you want to first add (check the box) 'Generic JDBC' to the list of Connection Profile Types, on the New Profile Connection Types preference page. Then select that type when creating the Connection Profile. It will want the location of the JDBC driver jar. Also, you will want to use the SQL File Editor (instead of the Teradata SQL Editor) and result sets will go to the SQL Results view instead of the Teradata Result Set Viewer.

Fan

I was initially really looking forward to exploring the capabilities of SQL Studio Express, but I’m going to have to pass due to the complexity of the Eclipse install, especially:

Before letting Eclipse restart to finish the installation,

remove the file plugins\org.eclipse.emf.ecp.view.swt.layout_versionNumber.jar

- Locate your Eclipse directory, and delete plugins

\org.eclipse.emf.ecp.view.swt.layout_<versionNumber>.jar

There’s no way that’s going to happen on a highly locked down corporate laptop.  I’ll check back in a year, maybe by that time Teradata will have a Studio Express installer that includes everything.

Teradata Employee

Paul, You have misunderstood. The steps you mention are for installing Teradata Plugin for Eclipse, where a user would have an existing Eclipse environment and they want to add the Teradata functionality. The install for Studio Express is very simple:

1. Unzip the download file

2. Run the setip.exe.

The only pre-requisite is that you install the Java Runtime Environment 1.6, 1.7, or 1.8.

Enjoy.

Teradata Employee

I have questions about the system font and formatting SQL result sets.

Is there a way to change the pre-configures system font ?

I would like to change the font of the result sets permanently. So far I had to make the change for each result set separately, a bit of a cumbersome activity.

Werner Paul

werner.kohs@teradata.com

Teradata Employee

Werner, You can change the font for the different displays in Studio/Studio Express via the Colors and Fonts Preference Page. Refer the section above called 'Changing the Font' under 'Using the SQL Editor/Query Window'. The Result Set Viewer font uses the Dialog Font under the Basic folder.