Transitioning from SQL Assistant to Studio Express

Tools
Tools covers the tools and utilities you use to work with Teradata and its supporting ecosystem. You'll find information on everything from the Teradata Eclipse plug-in to load/extract tools.
Teradata Employee

Re: Transitioning from SQL Assistant to Studio Express

Thanks Francine.

Werner Paul

Enthusiast

I often want to peruse one or more tables to find particular data or get familiar with it and I use the Data | Sample Contents menu item (on the right-click context menu for tables in the Data Source Explorer).

But the column names in the results are prefixed with the table name and are left justified. So instead of seeing the useful part of a column name, such as 'Address', I see something like 'customer_ord...' repeated along the column headers.

Is there a way of displaying column names only when sampling tables? I haven't found a setting or preference that does it.

Peter

Teradata Employee

Peter, The columns names are from the ResultSet metadata returned for the result set by the JDBC driver. The only time I am seeing that it is prefixed by the table name is for Hive queries. Are you perusing HDP system, Teradata, or Aster?

Enthusiast

Thanks for the prompt response. It's HDP.

So, I gather it's Hive returning the fully qualified names.

Teradata Employee

Yes as fully qualified names.

Hi - 

I am using SQL Assistant 14.10.0.02, and i want to chnage settings for multiple answerset. Currently its opening in multiple tiles, making 4 tiles - 1 for Query,1 for History and 2 for Answerset(more depend on queries). How can we merge Answer set in one tile with multiple Tabs, the way multiple Query window works. Please guide.

Teradata Employee

Manish, I am not an expert on SQLA. Please try posting your question to the Tools Forum. thanks.

When can we expect SSO to work in Studio Express? I get a pretty long exception error when I try to use Kerberos and no username/password. In another thread  you suggested modifying the registry but we simply do not allow our users to edit their registry.

Teradata Employee

Cameron, As you mention, the process does require the Windows user to modify a setting in the registry. We have your RFC request for this to be more automatic and will access from development and product management to see when it can be delivered.

Hi Frgrimmer,

This is really cool!

I am wondering if the fearture of "SQL Statement Outline Marks" is available for other database source, e.g. Oracle. I tried in SQL Filer Editor connecting to Oracle, but there is nothing shown in Outline view.

Regards,

Edgar